This post is part of a social shopper marketing insight campaign with Pollinate Media Group®, Birds Eye®, and Farm Rich® but all my opinions are my own.
On week nights it can be hard to come up with quick and easy dinner ideas that are both flavorful and short on time. Today I’ve got a casserole that is one of my family’s favorites – Cowboy Brisket Casserole! It tastes amazing, and it’s ready in about 30 minutes.
Originally, I made this with Farm Rich® Smokehouse pulled brisket. It’s precooked and you could find it in the freezer aisle, but I can’t find it anymore. So, nowadays when I make this recipe, I use leftover chopped brisket, pulled pork, or even shredded bbq chicken. I also will buy precooked brisket like Lloyd’s that has sauce already mixed in or just regular sliced precooked brisket and chop it up.
If you love barbecue, this is perfect for quick week night meals.
This casserole is so easy to put together, and the flavors are just amazing! It’s one of my husband’s favorites.
This is a little like a poke cake, except we’re using savory ingredients. Start off with a cheap box of cornbread – like Jiffy Cornbread. Make it just like the package and then throw in some cheddar cheese. Make sure to coat the casserole dish with olive oil before you pour it into the casserole dish.
Heat up the frozen corn according to the package. Then, pour the corn over the top of the cornbread mix. Next, pop it in the oven for 15 minutes. When you pull it out, poke holes with the end of a wooden spoon about 1 inch apart.
Next, drain a can of ranch style beans and pour them on top of the corn. These beans are very popular in Texas, but I think they are sometimes called chili beans in other parts of the country.
When you pop the cornbread into the oven, get your brisket ready. Shred it if you need to, or use Lloyd’s which already has sauce mixed in. I prefer to combine 1 lb of chopped brisket with 1/4 cup of barbecue sauce and then layer it on top of the beans. Then, pop it back in the oven for about 10-15 minutes.
As soon as you pull it out, top it with some green onions and the other 1/2 cup of cheese, and serve! Your family is gong to love this cheesy and hearty meal!Print
Love barbecue? Then you might just love this hearty casserole with brisket and sweet barbecue corn!
- 1 box corn bread
- 1 egg
- 1/3 cup milk
- 1 cup of cheddar cheese – divided in half
- 1 lb of chopped or pulled brisket (or pulled pork or bbq chicken)
- 1/4 cup barbecue sauce
- 1 bag of frozen sweet corn
- 1 can of ranch style beans (chili beans), drained
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Spray a 9 x 13 casserole dish with nonstick spray.
- Make corn bread according to package with milk and egg, and then add 1/2 cup of cheddar cheese.
- Spread it on the bottom of the casserole dish.
- Follow the instructions to heat up the sweet corn
- Then, top the cornbread with the corn.
- Bake for 15 minutes.
- While the casserole is baking, mix up the brisket with sauce.
- Pull the casserole out of the oven and add the ranch style beans.
- Then, top it with the brisket.
- Bake for an additional 10-15 minutes to get that cornbread to a golden brown color.
- Top with green onions and 1/2 cup of cheddar cheese.
- Serve immediately.
- Category: Casserole
- Cuisine: American
What’s your favorite hearty weeknight meal?
Looking for more great barbecue style meals, check these out: