How do you feel about mashed potatoes? Personally, I can take them or leave them…unless they are my dreamy, creamy, easy to make, Cream Cheese Mashed Potatoes – the literal best mashed potatoes in the world. Then, I could eat the entire pan all by myself.
Years ago my mother came over with the ingredients and make these for our “After Christmas” Christmas dinner, and I literally died and went to heaven. I was never a big fan of potatoes. I will gladly skip the carbs and calories of french fries or potato chips or a baked potato, but then I tasted these Cream Cheese Mashed Potatoes. They are simply amazing.
My kids absolutely love them. My 2 year old begs for thirds and fourths of this dish. Soon after, they quickly became a staple side dish in our house.
Cream Cheese Mashed Potatoes
They have two secret ingredients – lots of butter (a whole stick!) and cream cheese. Usually I whip my potatoes with a mixer, but with these potatoes, I like to just smash them up with the cream cheese and butter using a potato masher.
The best thing about these mashed potatoes is you can make them the night before a big meal like a potluck or Thanksgiving. Then, take them out of the fridge an hour or two beforehand. Add several pats of butter on top and bake at 350 for 30 minutes. They will taste like you just made them. So, so good!Print
These are the best-est, creamiest, dreamiest, so easy to make mashed potatoes you will ever taste. Everyone who has a spoonful immediately wants more.
- 4 lbs peeled and cut potatoes
- 8 oz pkg of cream cheese, room temperature
- 1 stick of butter cut into pats, room temperature
- 1/2 to 1 cup of half and half
- Peel and cut up potatoes into fourths. Boil for about 25-30 minutes until they are done. When I can slip a knife through one of the potato pieces like butter, they’re done.
- Drain the potatoes.
- Next, mash the heck of them.
- Slice up an entire stick of butter and add to the potatoes and keep mashing.
- Slice the entire 8 oz pkg of cream cheese and add to the potatoes and keep mashing.
- Add the half and half and stir and fluff until the potatoes are fluffy.
- If you’re going to bake these, add enough half and half to make them a teensy bit soupy so they won’t dry out while baking.
- Add salt and pepper to taste — we probably added about a 1 tsp of both. You can also add Lawry’s Seasoning Salt.
- This step is optional. Bake at 350 for 15-20 minute.
- Category: side dish
- Method: stove top
- Cuisine: american
Keywords: mashed potatoes, creamy mashed potatoes, cream cheese potatoes, cream cheese mashed potatoes, whipped potatoes
More Potato Recipes
- Mini Whipped Potatoes
- Grilled Cheesy Broccoli Baked Potatoes
- Texas Jalapeno Potato Salad
- Hearty Vegetarian Sweet Potato Chili
- Loaded Red Potato Salad