Somewhere I read about someone who made their holiday cornbread dressing with tamales, and I thought that sounded like an amazing Tex Mex idea for a casserole. So, today I’m sharing a recipe for Tex Mex Tamale Casserole that I’ve been making. My husband and teenagers absolutely LOVE it.
It’s tamales season here in Texas. At Christmas time it’s always a race to order your tamales to get in time for the big day. Honestly, you can only eat so many, so sometimes we have leftover tamales. I hate to just throw them away, so now I make tamale casserole.
It takes less than 30 minutes from putting it together to eating. It’s perfect as a main meal or a great side dish for taco night or it’s a wonderful spicy addition to the holiday dinner table right next to the traditional cornbread dressing.
How do you make Tex Mex Tamale Casserole?
This is one of my favorite kinds of meals because it’s literally thrown together. Just pile all the ingredients into a large bowl and stir it up before transferring it into a 9 x 13 pan.
I take the tamales out of the fridge and heat them up just for 2-3 minutes and then tear them up over the bowl before mixing them into everything.
You can skip the jalapenos and the jalapeno juice if you don’t want to make it too spicy. Though, the corn is sweet and does a great job counteracting the spicy with its sweetness.
Can you make this Tamale Casserole ahead of time?
Yes! I have made it up and put it in the fridge to be cooked when I got home later. You might need to cook it an additional 5-10 minutes if it’s taken right from the fridge.
This recipe also heats up beautifully for leftovers and it’s an easy thing to pack to take for lunch.
More Tex Mex Recipes
- Healthier Refried Beans
- Mom’s Cheese & Onion Enchiladas
- BBQ Brisket Enchiladas with TexMex Gravy
- Cheesy TexMex Enchiladas
- Easy Slow Cooker Salsa Chicken
This easy Tex Mex Tamale Casserole is so quick to make and bake. You'll be eating in less than 30 minutes.
- 12 precooked tamales - pork, chicken, or beef
- 1 can of creamed corn
- 1 12 oz bag of frozen corn
- 1/2 cup diced pickled jalapenos
- 1/2 cup pickled jalapeno juice
- 2 boxes of cornbread stuffing mix
- 1 stick of butter, melted
- 32 oz chicken broth
- 1 15 oz can of chili, no beans
- 1/2 cup shredded cheese - colby jack, cheddar, or monterrey jack
- Preheat oven to 350 F degrees.
- Spray a 9 x 13 pan with non-stick oil spray.
- In a large bowl combine cornbread stuffing mixes, chicken broth, creamed corn, frozen corn, jalapenos, jalapeno juice.
- Heat the tamales up for 2-3 minutes.
- Break the tamales up into small pieces and add to the mix.
- Add the melted butter and mix up the entire bowl until well combined.
- Pour into the 9 x 13 pan.
- Bake for 20 minutes.
- Remove from the oven, pour the chili over the top and sprinkle the cheese over the top.
- Bake for an additional 5 minutes to melt the cheese.
Serving Size:1/2 cup
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 458 Total Fat: 25g Saturated Fat: 10g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 12g Cholesterol: 69mg Sodium: 1364mg Carbohydrates: 40g Net Carbohydrates: 0g Fiber: 5g Sugar: 7g Sugar Alcohols: 0g Protein: 20g