One of the ways I get my kids to try different things is to make it fun. More often than not, they end up liking it, especially new foods. My youngest two have never really wanted to try black olives, so I decided to create some fun food art with California Black Ripe Olives that they couldn’t resist for after school snack time.
Back to School time always makes me think of Fall and Halloween time, too. So, I decided to make some Spooky Spider Crackers while the kids were at school to have ready for snack time when they got home. Plus, these aren’t just great for after school. They’d also make a fun party appetizer, too!
These are a lot of fun to make. For the spider eyes, I used a medicine syringe. I packed softened cream cheese into the syringe, then inserted the plug into it and pushed out little dollops onto the black olives. I was a little nervous, but it was very easy. Plus, a tiny amount goes a long way. I was able to add eyes to all of these with just 2 mL of cream cheese packed into the syringe.
My kids thought they were awesome, especially my 10 yr old. He loved them, and he still talks about them weeks later. I’m definitely bringing these to the class Halloween parties.
Keeping black olives on hand is great when you need a quick snack, appetizer, or just an addition to a meal, California Ripe Olives provide a pop of color, texture, and flavor to a variety of dishes. The versatile California Ripe Olive is an ideal ingredient for home chefs and food artists. California Ripe Olives are kid-friendly and the perfect option for creating tasty and creative food art for the back to school season.
Did you know that California Black Ripe Olives are grown on over 1,000 multigenerational family farms that crisscross the inland valleys of California and are processed by two family-owned canneries?
California Ripe Olives Back-to-School is having a Sweepstakes! You can win an Amazon Kindle Fire HDX!! To enter, Follow California Ripe Olives on Facebook HERE, visit the custom “Sweepstakes” tab, and enter once per day for the chance to win! Hurry and enter now until September 12, 2014!Print
- 1 sleeve of buttery round crackers
- 1 container of cream cheese – I used garden vegetable flavor
- 1 can of extra large California Black Ripe Olives
- 1–2 tablespoons softened cream cheese
- Lay out the crackers on a plate.
- Spread garden vegetable (or regular flavor) cream cheese on each cracker.
- Cut black olives in half and place a half in the middle of each cracker for the spider bodies.
- Next, slice olives in half lengthwise, just like the spider bodies, and then slice into thin slices for the legs. Then, slice each leg piece in the middle to form 2 legs. You’ll need 8 legs per spider.
- Place the legs around each spider.
- Next, fill a medicine syringe with softened cream cheese. About 1/2 teaspoon will make eyes for nearly an entire plate of spiders. Add little dollops on one side of the black olive to be spider eyes. I added 8-9 eyes per spider.
- Serve immediately.
Have you ever made any fun food art? What did you make?
I was selected for this opportunity as a member of Clever Girls Collective and the content and opinions expressed here are all my own.