Do you go to a local mom and pop Italian restaurant? And, do they serve a house dressing that you love? Is it this delicious Red Italian Salad Dressing that looks like red tomato sauce? THIS! This is like the yeti of salad dressing I have been searching and testing ingredients to make this dressing at home for the longest time!
I love this salad dressing so much that I ask for extra to take home because I can’t find it anywhere. It’s the perfect dipping sauce for pizza (especially NY style pizza) and especially for those rolls they serve at the Italian restaurants. It is so good!
The Search for Red Italian Salad Dressing
I have literally tried to find a recipe like this for as long as I can remember…until now. Years ago my mom tried to make one with zesty Italian dressing mix and tomato sauce, but it wasn’t quite right.
I have scoured Pinterest with all kinds of search terms, and I can’t believe no one has attempted this.
Even a Google Image Search just brings up pictures from pizza and pasta restaurants. I started to wonder if there was a secret network of Italian restaurant, and they were guarding this recipe with their lives.
What’s the Secret Ingredient!?!
Then, I heard mention of using a chili sauce. I searched again and all I could find was Thai chili dressing recipes, and I knew that wasn’t it.
I realized Heinz chili sauce is sort of like their ketchup except it has chili powder and garlic powder in it. I decided to give it a whirl.
Well guess what? That is the secret ingredient – Heinz Chili Sauce! I think I figured it out.
I have a recipe that tastes just like that Red Italian House Dressing at the Italian restaurants. That was exactly the missing kick in that Italian house dressing I’ve been searching for.
Blind Taste Test
You won’t believe this, but after much research and testing, I have literally blind taste tested my family with this recipe right next to the real deal from the Italian restaurant nearby. They could not tell the difference!
Looking for more salad dressing recipes?
Italian Recipes You’ll Love
- Shrimp Italiano in less than 5 minutes
- The SECRET to Amazing Garlic Butter Spaghetti
- Cheesy Chicken Spaghetti Casserole
- Instant Pot Fettuccine Alfredo
- The SECRET to Amazing Meat Lasagna
- Extra Cheesy Lasagna
- Baked Spaghetti Casserole
- Fresh Tomato Pasta Sauce You can Freeze
Do you love the red house dressing at your local Italian restaurant? I have finally discovered the secret ingredient to making Red Italian House Dressing!
- 1 cup Heinz chili sauce
- 1/4 cup tomato paste
- 1/2 tablespoon garlic powder
- 1/2 cup oil
- 1/2 cup red wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons Parmesan cheese
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- Combine vinegar and oil. (I used canola oil as I was out of olive oil.)
- Next, add the chili sauce and tomato paste and whisk together.
- Add the Parmesan cheese, garlic powder, and Italian seasoning.
- Whisk until everything is completely combined.
- Add to a mason jar and store in the fridge.