One of the best things about the holidays is peppermint candy canes! I love incorporating them into my desserts like Red Velvet Peppermint Brownies to Peppermint Sugar Cookie Bars. These Candy Cane OREO Cupcakes look amazing, taste delicious and are so easy to put together!
Our Christmas tradition is a little different than most. We are all mostly night owls, and the thought of waking up on Christmas morning is just not fun. So, we made a deal with Santa. We give him yummy treats, and he agrees to make a quick stop at our house in the early evening on Christmas Eve.
Everyone gets to open their presents and spend the rest of the night playing with them. Then, we can all sleep in on Christmas Day before heading out to a movie or to visit or grandma and grandpa.
What does Santa like to eat?
I’ve done the research, and Santa loves cookies and treats! So, every Christmas Eve, the kids and I make a special dessert to leave for Santa. These Candy Cane OREO Cupcakes will be perfect since they have cookies and treats all together in one! I have a feeling they are going to hit the spot along with a nice big glass of milk.
What do we do on Christmas Eve?
Since we do our big unwrapping that night, our Christmas Eve is busy. The kids all wrap their presents for each other and mom and dad. We spend time making Santa something delicious to eat.
Around 6 pm, we pack up the car with everyone, including the dog, and we go find the best Christmas light displays around town. Then, we head home about an hour later, and it’s party time!
How do you make Candy Cane OREO Cupcakes?
These cupcakes are amazing! The addition of buttermilk gives that flavor a tiny bit of a bite, and they also have a little bit of instant coffee added to really enhance the chocolate flavor. I have found that adding instant coffee works best.
My favorite part of these cupcakes is the OREO crumbs mixed into the frosting. It’s basically a chocolate version of cookies and cream frosting. So, so good!
The secret to making these candy cane OREO cupcakes look amazing is the swirling of the mile high frosting. Use a large star tip, and it totally makes people think you know what you’re doing.
Make a Peppermint Platter!
These cupcakes are perfect for the dessert table on top of a platter made from peppermints! Come see how to easily make one in the oven in minutes!
Looking for more Holiday-inspired Desserts?
- Christmas Cherry Cookie Cups
- Snow Globe Christmas Treats for Kids
- Pecan Pralines
- Nilla Fluffernutter Sandwiches for Santa
- Merry Mint Mini Cheesecakes
- Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer Milkshake
Looking for activities to do together on Christmas Eve?
- Make a Mason Jar Christmas Snow Globe
- Mini Mason Jar Christmas Ornament
- Free Printable Christmas Name That Tune Game
- 12 Christmas Printables
- Snowman Bubble Bath
Make these delicious Candy Cane OREO Cupcakes for Santa’s treat on Christmas Eve!
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- ¼ cup plus 2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- ¾ teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup brown sugar
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- ⅓ cup vegetable oil
- ½ cup buttermilk
- 1 large egg, room temperature
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup boiling water
- 1 teaspoon instant coffee granules
OREO Frosting Ingredients:
- 1 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 3 cups powdered sugar
- 3 tablespoons heavy whipping cream
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ¾ cup finely crushed Oreo crumbs
- 1 cup crushed candy canes
- 24 holiday OREOs cut in half
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Line your muffin pans with cupcake liners and set aside.
- In a large bowl add together the flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda, and salt and combine.
- Add in the sugar and brown sugar stir until combined.
- Add the oil, buttermilk, egg, and vanilla extract. Stir until combined.
- Add the instant coffee to the 1/4 cup boiling water and mix until dissolved.
- Add the coffee to the mixing bowl and mix.
- Fill each cupcake liner 3/4 full of cupcake batter.
- Bake at 350°F for 17-20 minutes.
- Remove the cupcakes from the oven and allow to cool completely.
OREO Frosting Directions:
- With an electric mixer beat the butter on medium speed for 1 minute.
- Add in the powdered sugar 1 cup at a time. Continue to mix to combine.
- Add the heavy whipping cream and vanilla extract.
- Mix on medium-high speed until the mixture is combined.
- Add the Oreo crumbs on low-speed and combine.
- Pipe the frosting on the cooled cupcakes.
Decorating the Cupcakes
- Pour the crushed candy canes on a plate.
- Roll the edge of the cupcake frosting in the candy canes.
- Place a cut OREO on top of the frosting.
- Category: dessert
- Method: baking
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: christmas cupcakes, holiday cupcakes, cookies and cream cupcakes, chocolate cookies and cream cupcakes, oreo cupcakes