We’re continuing on with our Under the Sea Party. First, we had Under the Sea Party Pretzels, and then came the Starfish OREOs. Yesterday was my favorite – Mermaid Costumes for American Girl dolls! Today, we’re making Deep Sea JELLO Fishing Cups!
These would fit perfectly with a kids’ birthday party that has a fishing theme or an under the sea theme. I don’t know a kid who doesn’t love JELLO, and they absolutely LOVE pretzel fishing rods. I’ve made pretzel fishing rods for Valentine’s Day parties, and the kids just loved them. This post contains affiliate links.
How to make Deep Sea JELLO Fishing Cups
Since you’ll want your JELLO cups to look like water, blue is the best choice. Most blue gelatin flavors I’ve seen are Berry Blue or Blue Raspberry, and I did find a beautiful light blue JELLO in Cotton Candy flavor for Wonder Woman at Walmart. I’ve not seen it anywhere else. Not sure why Wonder Woman is representing the cotton candy flavor, but it sounds tasty. I’ve also seen Sonic brand Ocean Water blue gelatin at Walmart, too. I would totally go for that one.
These clear party cups are 9 oz sizes, and you’ll fill them about 6 oz full with gelatin — roughly about 2/3 full. One package of the big package of JELLO is 6 oz and the small packages are 3 oz. One 6 oz package of gelatin will get you about 6 of these cups. So, if you’re making this for 12 people, you’ll need 2 package of gelatin, for 24, you’ll need 4 packages. If you can’t find the 6 oz packages, the regular size is 3 oz of JELLO, so you’ll double the amount — 2 packages for 6 cups, 4 for 12 cups.
Make the JELLO
Prepare the JELLO according to the package. Then, let it cool for just a moment. Set up 6 party cups per 1 package of JELLO you made on a cookie sheet. Then, pour the JELLO into the plastic party cups. Fill each cup about 2/3 to 3/4 full.
Place cups in the refrigerator and let them set for several hours until firm. Overnight is best.
Take the Pull ‘n’ Peel Twizzlers and pull 3 strings off and cut them each in half. Take one cut piece to use per cup and set the rest aside.
Use one string of Twizzler at at time. Poke a hole in a Swedish fish at the gills area with a fork tine or a toothpick. Push one end of the Twizzler through the hole in the Swedish Fish. Wrap the other end of the Twizzler around the end of a pretzel stick, as shown.
Push the end of the pretzel through the gelatin at the side of the cup, as shown.
On the opposite side of your jello cup, create waves with whip cream, and place one Swedish Fish in the middle. I’d recommend using spray whipped cream, but you can also make it fresh yourself and sculpt it to look like waves.
Short on time?
What if you don’t have time to start making this treat a day ahead? Here’s a quick fix shortcut!
You can find Snack Pack Gel 6 packs at the grocery store in Berry Blue flavor. I know Walmart carries it, and then you can skip making the JELLO which is the most time consuming part of this recipe.
Looking for more Fun Kids Food Recipes?
- The Lion King Inspired Dipped OREOs
- Let’s Make Summer Beach Pudding Cups
- The BEST Apple Parfait Recipe
- Snow Globe Christmas Treats for Kids
- Cookie Fossils for Kids
- Unicorn Poop Edible Cookie Dough
These Deep Sea JELLO Fishing Cups are the perfect fun kid food to serve at birthday parties, sleepovers, and just because!
- 9 oz clear party cups
- 6 oz blue gelatin
- pretzel sticks
- Swedish Fish
- Cherry Pull-n-Peel Twizzlers
- Whip Cream
- Prepare jello in a large sauce pan as advised on box.
- Let cool briefly and place into plastic punch cups. Fill each cup almost to the top, as shown.
- Place cups in the refrigerator and let jello set for several hours until firm, preferably overnight.
- Pull one “string” off your Twizzler and cut in half.
- Poke a hole in the gill area of a Swedish Fish with a fork tine, toothpick, or end of a skewer.
- Take that half string of Twizzler and push one end through the hole in your Swedish Fish.
- Wrap the other end of the Twizzler around the end of a pretzel.
- Push the end of the pretzel through the jello at the side of the cup.
- On the opposite side of your jello cup, create waves with your whip cream, and place one Swedish Fish in the middle.
- Serve immediately after adding whipped cream.
Amazon has several colors of the Pull ‘n’ Peel Twizzlers – from green, to purple, and even pink.
Amazon also has several colors of Swedish Fish if you want more than just red.
- Category: dessert
- Method: boil
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: gelatin cup, jello cup, gel cup, fun kids foods, fun kid food