It’s another fun treat for our Under the Sea party! So, yesterday we made Under the Sea Party Pretzels. This time we’re making Starfish OREOs! How fun is that? This post does contain affiliate links.
I like to think these are little starfish, but they could also be suns, which could be a fun treat for a Disney Rapunzel party.
Melting the Candy Melts
Before you begin, lay out wax paper on a cookie sheet.
Melt the candy melts according to the package directions. You can use a double boiler method or some people love those special little melting pots. My favorite method is the microwave. I microwave them for 30 seconds a time, then I stir, and then microwave again for 30 seconds. I keep doing this until the candy melt is completely smooth and melted. Most times it’s less than 2 minutes to completely melt.
Candy Melt Issues
Based on personal experience I recommend not using Fiestaware bowls to do this. They overheat my candy melts in the microwave every single time. When your candy melts get overheated, it stays really clumpy and thick and no matter how much you microwave, it will not melt correctly.
You want a gravy consistency to your candy melts. So, if you find it’s still too thick, you can add vegetable oil or shortening. I start with 1 tablespoon and if it’s still to thick, I add just one more tablespoon. My favorite product for thinning candy melts is EZ Thins. In my opinion, it works so much better than oil or shortening. Definitely do not add water to your candy melt as it will ruin it.
How to Make Starfish OREOs
Place the OREO on a fork and dip each one into the candy melt. Life the fork straight up and allow the excess candy melt to run off, then tap gently against the side of the bowl to get any additional excess candy melt to return to the bowl.
Place the cookie onto the waxed paper. If air bubbles form on the OREOs, pop them with a toothpick.
Dip bugle snack chips in the candy melts. I recommend doing one at a time. Press the rounded opening of the Bugle against the cookie.
Once all six are attached, immediately sprinkle with sanding sugar.
Allow OREOs to set completely at room temperature for an hour or two OR you can pop them in the refrigerate or freezer for faster results.
Store in an airtight container at room temperature.
More Fun Kids Food Ideas
- Under the Sea Party Pretzels
- DIY Rainbow Frosting Twinkies
- Let’s Make Summer Beach Pudding Cups
- Gooey Unicorn Bars
- Pretzel Fishing Rods
- Dinosaur Footprints Cookie Pizza
Make some Starfish OREOs with the kids using OREO cookies and Bugles! Come see how!
- 1 package Oreo Chocolate Sandwich Cookies
- 3 packages yellow candy melts wafers
- 1 bag Bugles snack (6 Bugle horns for each cookie)
- Yellow sanding sugar
- Line a cookie sheet with waxed paper.
- Melt the candy melts according to package directions. I like to melt it in 30 second increments and stir after each 30 seconds until it's completely melted and smooth. It takes about 1 1/2 to 2 minutes.
- Place the OREO on a fork and dip each one into the candy melt. Life the fork straight up and allow the excess candy melt to run off, then tap gently against the side of the bowl to get any additional excess candy melt to return to the bowl.
- Place the cookie onto the waxed paper. If air bubbles form on the OREOs, pop them with a toothpick.
- Dip bugle snack chips in the candy melts one at a time. Press the rounded opening of the Bugle against the cookie.
- Once all six Bugles are attached, sprinkle with sanding sugar.
- Allow OREOs to set completely at room temperature or in the refrigerate or freezer.
- Store in an airtight container at room temperature.
It is best to create one cookie at a time so the candy coating does not set completely prior to adding sanding sugar.