I love a fun treat I can make with the kids, and these Lion King Inspired Dipped OREOs are just the thing! If you’re scared of candy melts, this is perfect treat to start with because even if they come out a little wonky, it’s all covered up with sprinkles! And who can mess up sprinkles?
Were you a big fan of The Lion King when you were a kid? I took my oldest daughter to see the musical when she was a tween, and now I’m so thrilled to get to share the new movie with my kids.
Check out the new trailer that just dropped for the movie. It looks amazing!
I love making movie-themed treats, especially something fun like this where you can totally mess up and no one will ever know. That’s why this is such a great activity for kids. They can easily make these treats with a little help.
Using Candy Melts
One of the hardest parts about this is melting the candy melts. My favorite way to melt candy melts is to put it in a microwave-safe bowl. Don’t use a Fiestaware bowl. My dishes are Fiestaware and if I use one of those bowls, it heats up too hot and the candy melts end up super clumpy. Then, I heat it for 30 seconds a time and stir. If you do this method slowly, it usually works really well. I usually have to microwave for a total time of 1 1/2 to 2 minutes until the candy melts are smooth and ready for dipping.
Wilton EZ Thins
Even when I do it perfectly this way, sometimes it ends up clumping and just won’t melt right. But, Wilton has the coolest product that totally fixes this. It’s a little tub of flakes called “EZ Thins,” and you add a pinch or two to your candy melts and stir it up and it turns thick and gloppy candy melts into the perfect consistency. I swear it works every time. I can’t use candy melts without it. The best part is that it’s completely odorless and tasteless, so it doesn’t affect anything — the color, the flavor — nothing!
Lion King Dipped OREOs
If you have the kids help, it makes it much easier to work quickly when making your Lion King Dipped OREOs.
Once you dip the cookie and tap the excess, have a few frosting tips ready, like 3-4, so you (or the kids) can work assembly line style with 3 to 4 cookies at a time.
- One child puts the frosting tips on the centers of the cookies.
- The other child tosses the sprinkles onto each cookie.
- Then, you can remove the frosting tips and add the eyes and noses (or you can have a third child do this part).
When they’re all decorated, pop the cookie sheet into the freezer, and these fun kid treats will be ready in about 15 minutes.Print
Make Lion King OREOs for a fun kids treat you can make with your kids!
- Line a baking sheet with waxed paper.
- Melt yellow candy coating according to package directions. If it’s too thick, I recommend a pinch of Ez Thins to even out the candy melt. Do not add water.
- Using a fork, dip each cookie into melted candy. Lift straight up and tap gently against the side of the bowl, allowing excess candy to return to the bowl. If any air bubbles form, pop them with a toothpick. Set the cookie on the waxed paper.
- Using a frosting tip, cover the face area. Then, cover the rest of the cookie with sprinkles. Remove the frosting tip quickly with a slight twist.
- While the candy is still wet, press candy eyeballs and mini chocolate chip for the nose into place.
- Allow cookies to set completely either in the freezer in about 15 minutes or for about an hour or so on the counter.
- Enjoy and store leftovers in an airtight container as room temperature.
- Category: Dessert
- Serving Size: 2 cookies
Keywords: oreo cookies, oreos, dipped oreos, fun kid food, chocolate dipped oreos, lion cookies
More Movie-Themed Treats
Check out these other fun kids foods that are inspired by movies!
- Moana Heart of Te Fiti Drink
- Aladdin’s Blue Genie Cupcakes
- Fallen Kingdom Dinosaur Footprints Cookie Pizza