It’s time for the Peanut Butter Bash! This month our ingredients were peanut butter and… bacon! I know using bacon in desserts has become quite popular. But, honestly, I have never paired anything sweet with bacon. I was a little worried.
Then, it hit me, I decided to make peanut butter cake balls, dip them in chocolate, and then crumble bacon over the tops.
For this recipe I went with a butter cake mix with 3 eggs and 1 stick of butter, and then, I added vanilla yogurt, 1/4 cup of cream, and melted peanut butter chips. If you’ve never made cake pops or cake balls before, check out this tutorial. After the first time, they are so simple!Print
Sweet and savory! Chocolate peanut butter cake pops topped with bacon!
- 1 butter cake mix
- 3 eggs
- 1/2 cup vanilla bean yogurt (you can use plain or vanilla)
- 1 bag of peanut butter chips melted
- 1/4 cup cream
- 1 can of frosting
- 1 bag of milk chocolate chips
- 2 tablespoons shortening
- 6-8 strips of precooked crumbled bacon
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Grease a 13 x 9 pan.
- Combine cake mix, eggs, and yogurt and mix until just combined.
- Melt peanut butter chips over double boiler or in the microwave.
- Once melted, stir in cream.
- With mixer on medium, pour in the melted peanut butter chips and allow to beat for 1 1/2 minutes.
- Pour into the pan and bake for 30-35 minutes.
- Allow to cool completely.
- Then tear up the cake and add frosting,
- Make the cake balls
- Cook about 6-8 pieces of bacon until crispy. Then crumble into very small pieces.
- Over medium low heat, melt chocolate chips and shortening until smooth.
- Dip cake balls into the chocolate.
- Immediately set on parchment paper and crumble bacon over the tops.
- Allow to cool and harden before serving.
I’ll be honest — I was not sure how good chocolate peanut butter cake pops with bacon would taste when I first made these. It was a bit of an experiment. But, it was actually really tasty. The saltiness of the bacon paired with the smooth chocolate and sweet peanut butter was really quite good. Let me know if you try them and what you think!
Are you a blogger? If you’d like to participate in the Peanut Butter Bash, join our Facebook group HERE.
If you’re not a blogger, come join our group The Peanut Butter Recipe Box – click here! It’s full of delicious peanut butter recipes!
Check out these other delicious peanut butter and bacon recipes: