Thanks to Hamilton Beach for providing me with the 2-Way FlexBrew Coffeemaker to facilitate this post. However, all opinions are 100% mine.
I know it’s been awhile since we had crazy cupcakes from a box, but I created one last week I just had to share. I am not a bourbon or pecan fan, but the people at my husband’s office really enjoyed these. I think there were phrases uttered like “best cupcake ever.”
Last week Nate came home and told me his work group had decided to have a Kentucky Derby themed potluck on Friday. I was like “what?” Then, he told me to make something themed for it. Seriously? What do I know about the Kentucky Derby? Absolutely nothing.
He sent me a recipe for a chocolate bourbon pecan pie. But, with 15 people, I didn’t think a pie would go very far, so I discovered a few recipes for chocolate bourbon pecan pie cupcakes. I knew this would be perfect to do with my crazy cupcake series.
I’m not gonna lie — these are not simple or easy. These will take at least a couple hours to completely finish since there’s chilling and cooling involved. So if you’re wanting quick and dirty, this is not it. However, if you want something people are going to remember you for, this is your cupcake! Nate is still raving about these cupcakes a week later.
I wanted to create an extra special touch to these cupcakes, like bourbon and pecan pie filling wasn’t enough – ha! I decided to turn the pecans into Candied Bourbon Pecans. I did this to both the chopped pecans I put in the pie filling as well as to the pecan halves I placed on top of the cupcakes. You can find the recipe for them HERE.
While the cupcakes were baking, I got cookie sheets full of pecans ready to go and popped in the oven as soon as the cupcakes were done. Then, while these were toasting, I whipped up the pecan filling so that just as the chopped pecans came out of the oven, I could throw them into the filling. Once the pecans are added, then it’s time to chill the filling for at least an hour.Print
Chocolate Bourbon Pecan Pie Cupcakes
- Total Time: 2 hours 10 minutes
- Yield: 21 1x
- 1 box of chocolate fudge cupcakes
- 3 eggs
- 2/3 cup vanilla bean yogurt (or any vanilla or greek yogurt)
- 1/2 cup caramel cappuccino
- 1 cup bourbon
Pecan Pie Filling
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 3/4 cup light corn syrup
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs, slightly beaten
- 1/2 cup chopped candied bourbon pecans
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
Brown Butter Brown Sugar Frosting
- 1/4 cup butter, browned
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 3–5 cups powdered sugar
- 3–4 tablespoons cream
- 1/4 cup chopped candied bourbon pecans
- Candied Bourbon Pecan Halves
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Mix together the cake mix, eggs, yogurt, bourbon, and cappuccino.
- Beat the ingredients on medium for 2 minutes.
- Fill cupcake tins 2/3 full.
- Bake for 18-19 minutes.
- Allow to cool completely.
- While the cupcakes are baking, whip up the candied bourbon pecans
- When the cupcakes come out of the oven, bake the pecans for 15 minutes.
- Then allow to cool.
- After cupcakes are completely cool, use a medium scoop or melon baller to scoop out nearly all the middle of the cupcakes. Then, set aside.
Pecan Pie Filling
- Combine corn starch, sugar, and butter over medium heat.
- Add corn syrup, salt, and slightly beaten eggs.
- Whisk continuously so the eggs do not scramble.
- When it reaches a boil, turn the fire down to medium low and continue whisking for about 5 minutes. It will thicken almost like caramel.
- Remove from heat and add the chopped pecans and vanilla.
- Chill in the fridge for at least an hour, until completely cooled.
- Fill each cupcake to the top with the pie filling.
Brown Butter Brown Sugar Frosting
- Brown the butter over medium heat until brown flecks form and it smells nutty.
- Immediately remove from heat and place in mixing bowl. Chill in the fridge for a few minutes until cool.
- Once cool, add softened butter and brown sugar and whip on medium until smooth.
- Add 1 cup of powdered sugar at a time.
- After 2 cups of powdered sugar, add 1-2 tablespoons of cream.
- Add 1-2 more cups of powdered sugar and 1-2 tablespoons more of cream.
- Once the frosting is the right consistency (you may need to add more powdered sugar or cream), then whip it on high for 5-7 minutes, until it nearly doubles in size.
- With a large round tip, pipe it onto the cupcakes to completely cover the pie filling.
- Garnish with a candied bourbon pecan on top and a few sprinkles of chopped candied bourbon pecans.
- Prep Time: 1 hour 30 minutes
- Cook Time: 40 minutes
I have to tell you that the Brown Butter Brown Sugar Frosting is AH-mazing! I think it just pulls the entire cupcake together into a whole new category of deliciousness. Other recipes I found for similar cupcakes had butter pecan or whipped cream frosting, but I knew that a brown butter frosting would take the cake for this one. It has that nutty flavor that just goes perfectly with pecans. Then, I added brown sugar to add just a little bit of “crunch” to the frosting.
It came out perfectly — exactly as I had imagined. I wanted to eat that frosting with a spoon, and I did. 😉
Besides the frosting, my other secret ingredient to making this recipe extraordinary is 1/2 cup of caramel cappuccino. Adding coffee to chocolate cake batter just enhances the flavor so well, and no one even realizes it when they eat it!
I used a caramel cappuccino coffee pod in my new Hamilton Beach FlexBrew 2-way Coffee Maker for this recipe. It’s got the best of both worlds. You can brew a pot or you can just make a single serving with a K-cup.
Check out the features: :
- Compatible with coffee grounds, K-Cup packs or soft pods
- Better coffee extraction than the leading competitor
- Adjustable cup rest allows for standard-size cups or travel mugs
- Durable, stainless steel features and dishwasher safe, removable parts
- 10-oz. brewing capacity (travel mug not included)
- Coffeemaker shuts off automatically when brew cycle is complete
- Equipped with a “Quick Start” Guide with simple, step-by-step brewing guidelines
Do you ever bake with coffee in your recipes?
I like hot black coffee
Those look so good! I love candied nuts and cupcakes!
Those sound really really good–and no I would not even think about attempting to make them. I can almost guarantee a disaster would happen!! As for cooking with coffee–no I don’t cook with coffee but I sure drink a lot of it!!
Those look AWESOME. They’d be perfect for an upcoming party I am planning.
i like a good cappuccino
I like vanilla lattes.
these look so delicious! I love chocolate and any cake with liquor in it! And that is a great giveaway!
I like your Chocolate Bourbon Pecan Pie Cupcakes and want to make them! My favorite coffee drink is a very Hot Caramel Latte.
i like my coffee plain/black
Wow these look amazing! Gorgeous photos too – they look delicious. -I have the Hamilton coffee maker too. Bought it a couple months ago and we love it!
My favorite coffee has to be medium blend coffee with cinnamon in it – so good!
Oh my word! Your cupcakes looks absolutely divine! Thank you for the recipe and for the fun giveaway. My favorite coffee is with lots of creamer.
Do you deliver? 😉
I like my coffee with a shot of baileys in it.
Regular coffee with cream and sugar.
I like my coffee hot, with a bit of hazelnut creamer!
My favorite are caramel lattes!
My favorite coffee drink is a salted caramel latte.
I like latte the most.
I love lattes
I like my coffee with french vanilla;)
My favorite coffee drink is iced coffee with vanilla!
I love salted Carmel frappachinos!
I like my coffee black, nothing added. Thanks.
I love coffee! Hot with french vanilla creamer. That looks like an awesome coffee maker, I love the idea of kcups or regular coffee both being an option without having two coffee makers.
My favorites are tied between French Vanilla Coffee and Vanilla Chai Latte.
Baileys and coffee!
My favorite coffee drink is a raspberry mocha.
Just good ol’ black coffee 🙂
I love nothing more then a fresh brewed cup of coffee with milk and sweet and low. All of the specialty coffee drinks have way too many calories and carbs for me.
my favorite is a tall dark starbucks coffee.
My favorite coffee drinks are mochas
I love iced Hazelnut Lattes.
My husband likes a French vanilla coffee.
I like Tim Hortons coffee
I love french vanilla coffee! Also some days just strong and black!
I like hazelnut ice coffee
I like deep dark roast coffee with no sugar just honey and cream.
I like iced coffee.
I like my coffee black.
Oh my gosh those look good, chocolate and bourbon – my favorite sins. 🙂
Regular coffee with cream!
I love a good french roast with a splash of evaporated milk. Thanks
Mocha mint latte
I love coffee with half and half 🙂
I like regular coffee with cream and sugar and then I add whipped cream. Yum
I enjoy regular brewed coffee but my adult kids are crazy over just about any iced coffee drink. Im not a fan.
I like black with lots of sugar!
My favorite is an iced caramel coffee with extra caramel and whipped cream.
Colombian coffee with almond milk!
My favorite coffee splurge is a skinny vanilla latte!
I love Java Chip fraps!
My favorite is mocha coffee from dunkin donuts.
id say plain coffee with hazlenut cream
I love all coffee but my favorite is that first cup of seattles best with cream in the morning
Anything caramel or chocolate!
Regular coffee with 1/2&1/2 or if I’m feeling fancy a Caramel Latte 😀
I like my coffee plain, strong and black!
My favorite coffee drink is just coffee! I think a latte may come in second.
My favorite coffee drink is always a mocha, but caramel makes it even better. Yum!
I love iced coffee
I love pumpkin spice lattes, especially my homemade ones!
White chocolate mochas
I like vanilla lattes!
Bless my heart, these look AMAZEBALLS.
Chocolate + Bourbon + Pecans + Cupcakes = DE-LISH! We are partial to pecans so we already knew you had a winner here. Great shout out to Hamilton Beach… great machine!
Glad you loved it!