Winter is one of my favorite times of the year not just because of the cold dreary weather, but it’s also when blood oranges are in season. I love using them in salads, drinks, and desserts. Their sweet and tart flavor is something I enjoy so much, so I’m always looking for a way to use them in a recipe. I can’t wait to share this Blood Orange Pie with you!
This Blood Orange Pie recipe is very similar to Key Lime Pie. In fact, the only difference is a substitution of blood orange juice instead of key lime juice. It takes just a few moments to whip up and bake. Before you know it, your mini pies are cooling in the fridge during dinner, so dessert is ready at just the right time.
This recipe makes just the right amount for six mini pies or one big pie. Once they have cooled, I put a big dollop of whipped cream on each mini pie and add a garnish of blood orange.
This pie has a delicate creamy flavor reminiscent of a dreamsicle. Sometimes Key Lime Pie can be sour and give you quite the pucker, but I’ve found Blood Orange Pie is sweeter with just a hint of sour tang. It has definitely become a favorite with my family.Print
- 6 graham cracker mini pie crusts or 1 regular size graham cracker pie crust
- 3 egg yolks
- 14 oz can sweetened condensed milk
- 1/2 cup blood orange juice
- 1 tablespoon of blood orange zest
- 2 cups whipping cream
- 1 tablespoon of sugar
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Combine egg yolks, milk, blood orange juice, and zest and mix until smooth and creamy.
- Pour into pie shells.
- Bake for 12 minutes.
- Chill in the fridge until cool.
- While pies are cooling, whip the whipping cream and sugar on high until peaks form.
- When ready to serve, top each pie with fresh whipped cream and garnish with thin slices of blood orange.
Looking for more Pie ideas? Check all these Sweet & Savory Pie Ideas from the Sunday Supper Movement:
Sweet As Pie
- Apple Browned Butter Tart by The Chef Next Door
- Banana Cream Pie from Recipes Food and Cooking
- Blood Orange Pie from The TipToe Fairy
- Brown Sugar Pie from Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Cherry Chocolate Brownie Pie from Sew You Think You Can Cook
- Chocolate Macadamia Nut Tart from Desserts Required
- Chocolate Pudding Pie from The Bitter Side of Sweet
- Coconut Cream Pie from Family Foodie
- Easy Lemon Pie from Basic N Delicious
- Fresh Lemon Hand Pies from From Gate to Plate
- German Sweet Chocolate Cream Pie from Meal Planning Magic
- Gluten-Free Chocolate Cherry Pie from NinjaBaker
- Gluten Free Mini Irish Cream Chocolate Mousse Pies from Cupcakes & Kale Chips
- Grapefruit Pie from Culinary Adventures with Camilla
- Homemade Oatmeal Creme Pies from Pies and Plots
- Irish Cream Coffee Mud Pie from The Crumby Cupcake
- Leaf Topped Apple Pie from That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Magic Cookie Bar Pie from Moore or Less Cooking
- Mixed Berry Hand Pies from My Imperfect Kitchen
- No Bake Blueberry Cheesecake Pie from Feeding Big and More
- No Bake Blueberry Mini Filo-Pies from Hardly A Goddess
- No-Bake Mixed Berry Cream Cheese Tart from Magnolia Days
- Orange Meringue Pie from Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Paifala (Samoan Pineapple Half Moon Pies) from Tara’s Multicultural Table
- Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Pie from Sweet Mornings
- Perfect Manhattan Pie from The Texan New Yorker
- Pineapple Meringue Pie from A Day in the Life on the Farm
- Quick Swiss Apple Pie from Confessions of a Cooking Diva
- Raspberry Cheesecake Pudding Pie from Flour On My Face
- Strawberry Mascarpone Tart from Taste And See
- Beef & Red Wine Pie from Wholistic Woman
- Cauliflower Cheese Pie with Grated Potato Crust from Food Lust People Love
- Chard and Parsnip Galette from Caroline’s Cooking
- Chicken Tamale Pie from Rants from my Crazy Kitchen
- Cornish Pasties from Palatable Pastime
- Homity Pie (British Potato Leek Pie) from Curious Cuisiniere
- Italian Cheesy Artichoke and Asparagus Phyllo Pie from La Bella Vita Cucina
- Italian Hand Pies from Brunch-n-Bites
- Irish Shepherd’s Pie from The Freshman Cook
- Jamaican “No-Beef” Patties from What Smells So Good?
- Mini Swiss Quiches from Family Around The Table
- Mushroom Swiss Quiche from Renee’s Kitchen Adventures
- Pizza Rustica from Monica’s Table
- Salmon Pot Pie from Bobbi’s Kozy Kitchen
- Savory and Spicy Mincemeat Pie from eating in instead
- Shepherd’s Pie Hand Pies from Our Good Life
- Skillet Shepherd’s Pie from Life Tastes Good
- Spaghetti Pie from Grumpy’s Honeybunch
- Spicy Korean Cottage Pie from kimchi MOM
- Taco Hand Pies from Kitchen Gidget
- Weeknight Chicken Pot Pie from Books n’ Cooks
- Plus: Baked Puerto Rican Meat Pies and More Pie Recipes from Sunday Supper Movement
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter on Sunday! We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm ET. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. To get more great Sunday Supper Recipes, visit our website or check out our Pinterest board.
Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? It’s easy. You can sign up by clicking here: Sunday Supper Movement