This shop has been compensated by Collective Bias, Inc. and its advertiser. All opinions are mine alone. #PourMoreFun #CollectiveBias
When you eat or drink something you love, does it bring you back to some place special? One of my favorite beverages is cherry limeade. It makes me think of spring and summer and being outside in the warm sun. It also makes me think of key lime pie, which is one of my favorite sweet treats.
I was grocery shopping this past weekend when Kool-Aid Easy Mix was having a demo at Walmart. After trying it, I had to bring it home. It comes in Cherry, Grape, and Tropical Punch. We all love Kool-Aid at this house, even the grown ups, so we were excited to try it out. I love that you just add water and it’s so convenient to make. You can make it in a pitcher or a single glass!
Then, I got the bright idea to use the cherry flavor Kool-Aid Easy Mix and give my favorite key lime pie recipe a twist. It’s Cherry Limeade Pie. If you like sweet and tart, then you will love this one. It tastes just like you’re eating a cherry limeade with a fork!
First, combine the egg yolks, sweetened condensed milk, and key lime juice. You can spend hours juicing miniature key limes, or you can just buy the bottle of key lime juice. Sometimes I also include a teaspoon of lime zest, but my family hates it, so I usually just leave it out.
Next, spoon over the filling into the mini pie crusts. Once they’re topped off, bake for about 12 minutes.
When baked, they darken a little and aren’t so jiggly. Let them cool for a few minutes before popping them into the fridge for an an entire hour to chill. During this time, I also freeze a mixing bowl to make the whipped cream.
After an hour you can pull the pies out of the fridge and then make the cherry part of the pie! Combine two cups of whipping cream, 1 tablespoon of sugar, and 4 tablespoons of Kool-Aid Easy Mix in cherry flavor.
Beat the cherry whipped cream just until hard peaks form. Then, you can spoon over the whipping cream onto the pies or my favorite is to pipe it on with a pastry bag. To finish, top it off with a lime wedge and they’re ready to serve.
If you have a special key lime pie recipe, you can make the key lime filling just like normal, and then make Cherry Kool-Aid Easy Mix Whipped Cream. Here’s how I make a Cherry Limeade Pie:
10 minPrep Time
12 minCook Time
22 minTotal Time
- 6 mini graham cracker crusts
- 3 egg yollks
- 1/2 cup key lime juice (they sell bottles of it!)
- 14 oz can sweetened condensed milk
- 1 teaspoon lime zest
- 2 cups whipping cream
- 4 tablespoons Kool-Aid Easy Mix - cherry flavor
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Beat together egg yolks, milk, key lime juice, and lime zest until well combined and creamy.
- Spoon filling into each pie shell to the top.
- Bake for 12 minutes. Then, let it sit for a few minutes to cool.
- Place pies in the fridge for at least 1 hour.
- While pies are relaxing, place the mixing bowl in the freezer.
- When pies are ready, remove mixing bowl from freezer and pies from the fridge.
- In the mixing bowl combine 2 cups of whipping cream, 1 tablespoon of sugar, and 4 tablespoons of cherry flavored Kool-Aid Easy mix.
- Beat on high until just as stiff peaks form.
- Spoon over or pipe whipped cream onto pies. Embellish with a piece of lime.
This came out so great, I can’t wait to try something else with the Kool-Aid Easy Mix flavors. Next time, I’m thinking grape flavor!