Looking to go beyond plain ol’ pumpkin pie this holiday season? Check out this easy and delicious recipe for a Pumpkin Cheesecake Braid made from puff pastry!
Do you remember the Ham & Cheese Breakfast Braid I made awhile back? You can prepare the puff pastry the exact same way.
Since puff pastry comes two to a box, you can use one can of pumpkin and one box of cream cheese to make two braids.
To make the pumpkin mixture, combine sugar, pumpkin, and pumpkin pie spice. Then, to make the cheesecake mixture, combine sugar, 1 egg, and cream cheese.
Once you’ve cut the side strips on the puff pastry, then it’s time to layer the cheesecake and pumpkin mixtures. Take half the cheesecake and layer it down the middle of one puff pastry, then do the same for the second. Next, top it with half of the pumpkin mixture, and the second pastry with the other half.
Then, it’s time to fold over. Take that little extra piece at the top and fold it over first. then, switch off one layering one strip from one side, then the next from the other side. At the very bottom, fold about an inch of the middle up, then wrap those last two strips.
Take an egg wash and brush it over the entire pastry and sprinkle with a little bit of sugar. Bake for 20-25 minutes, until golden brown.Print
- 1 box of puff pastry (2 puff pastry sheets)
- 15 oz can of pumpkin
- 8 oz cream cheese, softened
- 4 tablespoons of sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2 1/2 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice
- Preheat oven to 400 F degrees.
- Mix pumpkin, 2 tablespoons of sugar, and pumpkin pie spice. Set aside.
- Mix softened cream cheese, 2 tablespoons of sugar, and 1 egg.
- Open each puff pastry on a piece of parchment paper on a cookie sheet.
- Roll each out to a 12 x 10 inch rectangle.
- Angle cut 1-inch strips along the sides of each puff pastry.
- Layer one half of the cheesecake mixture down the middle of each puff pastry.
- Then, layer one half of the pumpkin mixture down the middle of each puff pastry.
- Fold the strips over on each puff pastry to close it up.
- Beat 1 egg and brush all over each puff pastry.
- Sprinkle a bit of sugar over each puff pastry.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes, until golden brown.
- Cool for 10 minutes or so before serving.
Let it cool for a few minutes before slicing and serving. You can serve it directly on the parchment paper for a rustic look!
Store the leftovers in the fridge in an air tight container for a few days. We like to pop a slice in the microwave for breakfast.
Do you like to make pumpkin desserts that aren’t just pumpkin pie?