Recently, I was the guest blogger over at Huckleberry Love! Very exciting! Over there, I had a great tutorial to make little party hat hair clips. These are great for New Year’s, Birthdays, even witches for Halloween! So I’m reposting in hopes those of you who missed it, can check it out over here!
Today I’ve brought you something fun just in time for New Year’s, but this is also great for birthdays and more! Now that Christmas is over it’s time to get the party started in celebrating the new year, and what better way than some festive party hat hair clips? These are quick and easy to make, and you can make some for your little girls or even for yourself! (And…when Halloween rolls around again, you whip this tutorial out to make yourself a little witch hat hair clip, too!)
1 Alligator hair clip
1/4 yd of 2 1/4 inch grosgrain ribbon
3 inches of 3/8 inch grosgrain ribbon
6 inch scrap of tulle
1/2 inch pompom ball
fray check (or lighter)
hot glue gun
1. Cut a 2 1/4 inch piece of the 2 1/4 inch wide ribbon. Then cut it into a rounded triangle like so. Use fray check or a lighter to seal the raw edges.
2. Make it into a cone shape and hot glue it closed. Seal the edges at the bottom of the cone.
3. Take a 1 1/2 inch piece of the same 2 1/4 inch grosgrain ribbon and round the edges into a circle. Seal the edges.
4. Take the 6 inch piece of tulle and cut it in half, so you’ll have two 3-inch pieces. Then, take each piece, and put a drop of hot glue in the middle and gather it in the middle. (I scrunch the middle together, than roll it a little between my fingers.)
5. Once you have gathered the middle of both pieces, then lay them on top of each other as shown and hot glue together in the middle. Now you have a little “tulle bow.”
6. Glue your tulle bow to the center of the round ribbon piece.
7. Next glue around the edge of the cone, then place the cone directly on top of the tulle bow.
8. Cover your alligator clip with ribbon. You can use double-sided fillet tape, which you can buy at hairbow making places. Or you can attach the ribbon with hot glue.
9. Embellish your little party hat any way you’d like. I finished this one with a 1/2 inch size pompom for the very top, and a little polka dot ribbon bow at the base. But, feel free to go wild and add rhinestones, buttons, tiny pompoms, and more.
10. Hot glue along the top of the alligator clip and firmly attach it to the bottom of the circle to finish the clip.
Now you’re done! Let the glue harden, and then clip in that party hat to celebrate the new year!