Since I’ve been making up batches of ice cream lately, I started thinking about candy ideas with other fun flavors. This time around I came up with Mike and Ike Zours in Green Apple Ice Cream. If you like sour candy, this could be an ice cream you’d love. This is a sponsored post.
During the 4th of July weekend, I was at Walmart, and they had a Zours sample. It’s always fun when they have candy sampling! We had a lot of fun making our #Zoursface for Instagram.
I loved them! Zours aren’t extremely sour, but just sour enough to make your lips pucker! I think my favorite is green apple and watermelon. After we tried them, I just had to pick up a couple of boxes to make something fun.
When I got back home, I knew Zours ice cream would be totally fun for both me and the kids! Luckily, I had drams of both watermelon and green apple flavors I had stashed in my basket of candy and cupcake supplies. I just knew one of them would go perfect with this candy.
I though the green apple was a bit more “sour” flavor than the watermelon, so I went with it. Once the ice cream was ready, I thought it tasted delighful! The Zours mixed with the green apple was very good. It had a creamy taste, but also a sweet and sour taste from the candy and flavoring. My kids enjoyed it and thought it was an exciting ice cream flavor.
Compared with the other ice cream flavors I’ve made with candy in them, with this one I waited until the ice cream was chilled for an hour before adding the candy. I did this for two reasons: #1 so it would not melt, and #2, I thought it would make it suspend better in the ice cream.
I also added 2 drams of flavoring. I started out with just one, but it was hard to really taste the apple flavor until I added the second dram. Then, it was perfect!
More Ice Cream Recipes
- Root Beer Float Ice Cream
- Harry Potter’s Butter Beer Ice Cream
- Strawberry Peach Ice Cream
- Unicorn Ice Cream
- Homemade Ice Cream with TWIX and MILKY WAY Bites
- 2 cups whipping cream
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1 cup sweetened condensed milk
- 2 drams green apple flavoring
- 2 boxes theater size Mike and Ike Zours candy
- green food coloring
- Chill mixing bowl for 15 minutes.
- Then, add whipping cream and beat until soft peaks form.
- In a separate bowl mix together sour cream and sweetened condensed milk.
- Heat for 30 seconds at a time until it thickens. (Usually it takes mine about 2 minutes total)
- Add food coloring to sour cream mixture until it's just a little darker than necessary (it will lighten up with the whipping cream).
- Add apple flavoring to sour cream mixture and mix thoroughly.
- Add 1/2 cup of whipped cream to sour cream mixture and mix thoroughly.
- Fold in the rest of the whipped cream gently.
- Pour into a freezable container and place in the freezer for 1 hour.
- At 1 hour, scrape the sides and mix gently. Then, add the Zours candy and mix in gently.
- Return to the freezer for another hour.
- At 1 hours scrape the sides again and mix gently. Then, place in the fridge for an additional 3-5 hours.
- When it has hardened serve and enjoy!