I love quick casseroles I can throw together and have dinner on the table in less than hour. This Cream of Mushroom Chicken Casserole is another family favorite, and it’s just perfect for dinner on a busy weeknight.
Our whole family has been under the weather the past few weeks. They’ve been passing what seems to be a virus between each other. So far, knock on wood, I haven’t got it yet. I’m hoping I don’t since I was blessed with pneumonia earlier this year. I’ve even told my college kid to stay away so she doesn’t end up catching it and going back to school and having to be sick by herself. Being sick at school without a mom to comfort you is just the worst.
I’ve been juggling all the sickies with little sleep. When one finally goes to sleep, another one needs mom, so when I can catch a nap, I do. And, that means planning dinner gets pushed to the wayside. I’ve had my husband bring home dinner more times than I’d like to admit lately. But, I’ve now been making sure our weekly grocery list includes all the necessities to make a quick casserole. If I can spend 5 minutes throwing ingredients together, I can get dinner on the table and a nap, too.
Now I just need a robot who can load and unload the dishwasher. Wouldn’t that be a dream?
Cream of Mushroom Chicken Casserole
This recipe is similar to my Cheesy Tuna Noodle Casserole. It is put together exactly the same way with just a few ingredients switched out. I also add some Parmesan and garlic to the cracker topping for added flavor. One thing I would suggest is tasting it while you’re mixing the ingredients to make sure you want to add more seasoning such as salt or pepper to get it the flavor you want.Print
This Cream of Mushroom Chicken Casserole is simple to make and baked in less than hour for an easy weeknight meal.
- 2 12 oz cans of chunk chicken, rinsed, drained, and shredded
- 1 package of orzo pasta, cooked according to directions
- 1 can of cream of chicken mushroom soup
- 1 can of water
- 1 can of milk, half and half, or cream
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup mozzarella cheese, shredded
- 1/2 stick of butter
- 1 sleeve of Ritz crackers
- 2 teaspoons Parmesan cheese
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- Preheat the oven to 350 F degrees.
- Cook the orzo pasta according to the instructions.
- While the pasta is cooking, drain, rinse, and shred the chunk chicken.
- In a large bowl combine the chicken, mushroom soup, salt, water, milk, and mozzarella cheese.
- When the pasta is done, drain and add it to the chicken mixture.
- Stir until it’s all well combined.
- Spray a 9 x 13 pan with nonstick spray.
- Pour the chicken mixture into the pan.
- Melt the butter.
- Crush the Ritz crackers.
- In a medium bowl combine the crackers, butter, parmesan cheese, and garlic and mix it up.
- Spread the cracker mixture over the top of the casserole.
- Bake the casserole for 35 minutes until bubbly.
- Allow to cool 5-10 minutes before serving.
- Prep Time: 5 min
- Cook Time: 45 min
- Category: Dinner
- Method: Baking
- Cuisine: American