With Mother’s Day coming so soon, this week’s Sunday Supper theme is Mom’s Favorites. My mom is famous for her enchiladas. Everyone always raves about them. Last week’s Sunday Supper was also another recipe for enchiladas for “regional favorites,” but those are my own recipe for TexMex ones. My mom’s enchiladas are super delicious and a little bit different.
She uses red enchilada sauce and monterrey jack cheese. Sometimes she makes her own enchilada sauce when she has time, but usually she uses Old El Paso’s mild red enchilada sauce. I remember these from when I was a kid growing up. I have never been a fan of onions, so she’d make me my own special batch without onions.
These are super simple to make. I steam about a dozen corn tortillas wrapped in damp paper towels for about a minute in the microwave.
I just realized I never took pictures of the onions. I simple add them on top of the jack cheese before rolling up the tortillas.
Enchiladas are very good at getting stuck to a pan, so my favorite tip for these is to always, always, spray the pan with non-stick spray before adding the enchiladas. It works every time!
I have found one 15 oz can of enchilada sauce can cover two small pans of enchiladas. My husband prefers flour tortilla enchiladas, so I make a dozen corn enchiladas and a half dozen flour enchiladas, and one can of sauce works great.
You do not want to over saturate the enchiladas with sauce or they’ll just get slimy, so half a can per dozen work perfectly.
My mom was the one who taught me the shortcut of cooking enchiladas in the microwave. I cover each casserole dish with plastic wrap and cook for just 4 minutes. This is my favorite thing about making enchiladas. It takes less than 15 minutes to make dinner.
- 12 corn tortillas
- 8 oz monterrey jack cheese
- 1/2 cup onions, diced
- 15 oz can of red enchilada sauce
- Spray nonstick spray in a microwave-safe 9 x 13 inch casserole dish.
- Heat the tortillas wrapped in damp paper towels for 1 minutes, or until steamed and soft.
- Add a couple tablespoons of cheese and about a teaspoon of onions to the center of each tortilla.
- Wrap the tortilla and place in the casserole dish.
- When the casserole dish is full, pour about half the can of sauce over the enchiladas. Use a spoon to gently spread the sauce around.
- Cover the top of the dish with microwave-safe plastic wrap and heat for 4 minutes.
- Serve immediately.
Don’t you just love famous family recipes? Here’s a ton of other recipes from moms that you’re going to love!
Starters (Appetizers, Beverages, Breakfast):
- Banana Bread Baked Oatmeal by Cooking With Carlee
- Frozen Pina Colada by The Redhead Baker
- Goats Cheese Rolls with Honey and Thyme by Manu’s Menu
- Mom’s Banana Bread by Family Around the Table
- Mom’s Famous Poppy Seed Bread With A Citrus Glaze by And She Cooks
- Mom’s Wine Spritzer by Momma’s Meals
Salads, Side Dishes, and Sauces:
- Asiago Bruschetta Roasted Asparagus by Flavor Mosaic
- Italian Country Salad by Cupcakes & Kale Chips
- Mom’s Cucumbers in Vinegar by Simple And Savory
- Mom’s Homemade Perogies by A Kitchen Hoor’s Adventures
- Mom’s Potato Salad by Palatable Pastime
- Polish Haluski (Pan Fried Noodles & Sauerkraut) by The Crumby Cupcake
- Spinach Salad with Simple Vinaigrette by Cooking Chat
- Zippy Barbecue Sauce by Amee’s Savory Dish
- Chicken and Egg Salad Sandwich by The Freshman Cook
- Grilled Chicken with Poblano Cream Sauce by Casa de Crews
- Fried Smelt by A Day in the Life on the Farm
- Granny Smith’s Meatloaf by Get the Good Stuff!
- Jean’s Best Vegetable Soup by Food Lust People Love
- Lemon & Garlic Herbed Roasted Chicken by Cosmopolitan Cornbread
- Mama’s Favorite Southern Fried Chicken by The Chef Next Door
- Mom’s Cheese & Onion Enchiladas by The TipToe Fairy
- Mom’s Lentil Toastadas by Grumpy’s Honeybunch
- Mom’s Moussaka by My Life Cookbook
- Shirley’s Potato Soup by Our Good Life
- Mom’s Spare Ribs To Go by An Italian in my Kitchen
- Mom’s Sukiyaki: Japanese Beef and Vegetables Hot Pot by Asian In America
- Myra’s Super Supper by Tramplingrose
- Pizza Meatloaf by A Mind Full Mom
- Slow Cooker Cabbage Rolls by Cookin’ Mimi
- Apple Bread Pudding with Butterscotch Sauce by Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Apple Crisp by Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Baklava by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Brown Sugar Pudding by Un Assaggio of Food, Wine & Marriage
- Butter Balls by Feeding and More
- Carrot Cream Cheese Coffee Cake by Pies and Plots
- Chocolate Cherry Truffle Cheesecake by What Smells So Good?
- Crustless Pecan Pie Rice Pudding by Desserts Required
- Double Layer Chocolate Cake with Red Wine Chocolate Buttercream by Fantastical Sharing of Recipes
- Easy Classic Date Squares by She Loves Biscotti
- Gluten Free Strawberry Rhubarb Cake by What The Fork Food Blog
- Homemade Chocolate Cherry Candies by Gluten Free Crumbley
- Hungarian Crepes: Palacsinta by My Gourmet Connection
- Lemon Cookies with White Chocolate and Mint by The Finer Cookie
- Lemon Pound Cake with Lemon Glaze and Roasted Strawberries by Turnips 2 Tangerines
- Mom’s Apple Pie by Wholistic Woman
- Mom’s Famous White Icing by Monica’s Table
- Moms Mayonnaise Cake by My World Simplified
- Pavlova with Raspberries and Cream by Caroline’s Cooking
- Rocky Road Brownie Sundae for Mom by The Weekend Gourmet
- Rose Shortbread Cookies by Baking Sense
- Sour Cream Cheesecake by Magnolia Days
Plus What Mom Really Wants for Mother’s Day plus Mom’s Favorite from Sunday Supper Movement
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter on Sunday! We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm ET. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. To get more great Sunday Supper Recipes, visit our website or check out our Pinterest board. Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? It’s easy. You can sign up by clicking here: Sunday Supper Movement.