Every once in a blue moon, I just get a craving for rice crispy treats. That gooey, buttery, marshmallow flavor just hits the spot. The store bought ones do not hold a candle to homemade rice crispy treats. But, that’s probably because I like to make mine extra buttery and gooey.
Rice crispy treats always make me think of babysitting. Remember reading The Babysitter’s Club and dreaming up a huge babysitting business with your friends? My mom even had business cards printed for me. I had such high hopes, but I really had no where to offer my services aside from the neighbors across the street who had 2 daughters. And, it probably didn’t help that I was painfully shy.
So when I was 12 years old, I finally had my first babysitting job with the neighbors across the street. I had no idea what I was doing, but it was reassuring that my mom was across the street at my house.
I think I was a fun babysitter. We had dance parties to Juice Newton (it was the only records their mom had), I taught them how to make rice crispy treats in the microwave, and I let them stay up late as long as they faked sleeping when their parents came home.
What did you expect? I was 12. I sure as heck didn’t want to sit in the living alone for a few hours waiting for their parents to come home.
I made a deal with them. They had to get ready for bed, brush teeth, get in their pjs, but they could stay up and watch TV as long as they pretended to be sleeping as soon as their parents walked in. They relished it every time I came to babysit.Print
Chocolate and toffee bits sprinkled into gooey, extra marshmallow-y rice crispy treats
- 6 cups rice crispy cereal
- 1 stick of butter
- 2 bags of mini marshmallows
- 1 bag of chocolate toffee bits
- Spray a 9 x 9 pan with nonstick spray.
- In a large bowl, melt the butter for 30-45 seconds in the microwave.
- Once melted, pour in both bags of marshmallows and stir to coat them in butter.
- Cook the marshmallows for 45 seconds in the microwave. Then, stir.
- Cook for an additional 45 seconds. Then, stir until they are completely melted. (If not melted, cook for an additional 30-45 seconds).
- Pour the toffee bits into the marshmallows and stir until melted.
- Add the cereal and stir until well coated.
- Pour the cereal into the pan and pack down. I use a sheet of wax paper over the top to push the cereal down.
- Allow to cool completely and cut into squares
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 2 minutes
- Category: Dessert
- Cuisine: American
When I make regular rice crispy treats, I use 2 bags of marshmallows and an entire stick of butter. Go big or go home! 😉 They come out completely coated in marshmallows, super soft, and extremely gooey.
My Toffee Crunch recipe has a twist with a bag of chocolate toffee bits. I love that toffee flavor. What’s even better is that after the chocolate melts, the toffee bits add a bit of “crunch” to the rice crispy treats. If you like something a bit nutty, you’ll love the taste of these.
Be warned, these are very rich. You’ll have had your fill with just a tiny square.
Here are a couple more rice crispy treat recipes you might like to try!