Turn Dove chocolate truffles into little lady bugs nestled in the grass on sugar cookies with these adorable Lady Bug Cookies! These cookies are perfect for so many times – Valentine’s Day, Easter, Spring, or just because!
I just love how these ladybugs came out. They are so cute, and look like a little piece of Spring in your hand. Plus, they’re full of chocolate, too!
How do you make Chocolate Truffle Ladybugs for Ladybug Love Cookies?
You’ll need Dove Chocolate Truffles. I recommend the dark chocolate as they look almost black. You will also need red and black cookie icing. You can order them online or find them at stores like Walmart and JoAnn Fabrics.
The easiest way to turn the chocolates into ladybugs is first unwrapping them placing them on a wire rack. I like to freeze the truffles for about 10-15 minutes as it makes the cookie frosting dry quicker.
Then piping the cookie icing and allowing the excess to drip off. Make sure to place a cookie sheet or a piece of wax paper under the wire rack, so it catches all the mess for easy clean up.
Start with the red icing and pipe a line across 3/4 of the truffle, like the photo. Then, fill in the rest of the 3/4 of the body. You’ll leave 1/4 of the truffle exposed for the ladybug “head.” Let that dry for an hour on the counter or about 15 minutes in the freezer.
Once that’s dry, you’ll use the black icing and pipe a line at the edge of the red and then down the middle for the wings. Lastly, you’ll add dots just like the dots on the ladybug wings. Then, let that dry before nestling the ladybugs into the cookies.
More Whimsical Fun Kid Food Ideas
- Let’s Make Summer Beach Pudding Cups
- DIY Rainbow Frosting Twinkies
- The Lion King Inspired Dipped OREOs
- Dinosaur Egg Nests
- Cookie Fossils for Kids
- Pirate Treasure Map Bark
LadyBug Love Cookies
- 1 package of Dove dark chocolate truffles
- 1 tube of red cookie icing
- 1 tube of black cookie icing
- 1 tube of white cookie icing
- 1 tube of green cake icing
- Grass frosting tip
- 1 container of Valentines Day Sprinkles
- 1 box of White cake mix
- 1/3 C vegetable oil
- 2 large eggs
- Green gel food coloring
- 1 container of green sanding sugar
Ladybug Truffles Instructions
- Unwrap 12 of the truffles and place onto a wire rack over a cookie sheet or wax paper.
- Put in the freezer for 10 minutes.
- Using the red icing, pipe a line across 3/4 of the truffle and cover the back half with the icing. Making sure that there is still 1/4 of the truffle bare for the face.
- Allow to dry for 1 hour on the counter or 15-20 minutes in the freezer.
- Pipe a black line down the middle of the red.
- Pipe black dots on the lady bug.
- Pipe white dots on the bare part of the chocolate to create the eyes.
- Pipe a small black dot on the white to create the pupil.
- Allow to dry for 30 minutes before nestling into the cookie.
- Preheat oven at 350º F degrees.
- Using an electric mixer to combine cake mix, vegetable oil, and 2 eggs.
- Mix in a few drops of green food coloring until well combined.
- Take about 1 teaspoon of each color of dough and form into tablespoon sized balls.
- Pour the green sanding sugar into a bowl.
- Roll cookie dough into the sanding sugar.
- Place cookie dough balls about 2 inches apart on a parchment paper lined baking sheet.
- Lightly push each cookie dough ball down so that it becomes a thick but flat disk.
- Bake for 7 to 8 minutes.
- Set aside to cool completely
- Using the green icing, pipe grass in the middle of the cookies
- Place the lady bug in the middle of the grass
- Place heart around the grass