I just love gnomes! They are so cute and so much fun to make! You can make these cute little Popsicle Stick Gnomes with the kids, and they can be puppets. This post contains affiliate links.
This is a great art project for preschool and early elementary kids. You can work on shapes, colors, measuring, cutting, and counting with this simple Gnomes created from wooden craft sticks from the dollar store.
Popsicle Stick Gnome Pattern
Download the pattern sheet below:
How do you make Popsicle Stick Gnomes?
These little gnomes can be made using glue sticks or a hot glue gun. If you want your kids to have a bit of independence when making this craft stick with glue sticks. However, if you want to make it a family affair, work together and and use a glue gun to get those popsicle sticks to stay together.
I wouldn’t recommend using school glue because it can take awhile to dry. However, a glue stick will do just as good of a job as a glue gun in this craft.
I recommend using the jumbo size craft sticks as opposed to regular-sized popular sticks.
Want to switch it up? Use whatever colors you hand on hand for cardstock and markers and make your gnomes in whatever color you’d like. You could even do a rainbow gnome! Or, if you want to make this a holiday or Christmas craft use holiday colors.
Just follow along with the photo collage to make your own gnomes! They work great as puppets!
More Fun Activities for Kids
We’ve got tons of ideas to keep the kids busy and having fun. Here’s a few I think you’ll love!
- Preschooler Bird Puppets
- Paper Cup Puppets
- DIY Dinosaur Terrarium
- DIY Pool Noodle Poppers
- Light Up Mason Jar Aquariums
- DIY Marshmallow Catapult
A great family fun craft activity to complete with the kiddos in an afternoon!
- Measure and cut a three-inch wide by six-inch long rectangle from the red and blue cardstock.
- Line up five craft sticks on the flat work surface. Do not overlap the craft sticks.
- Attach cardstock to back of craft sticks with the glue gun and glue sticks to hold everything together.
- Cover the work surface and color the front of the craft sticks with washable markers, one red and one blue.
- Measure in three quarters of an inch on either end of a craft stick and cut off the ends with scissors. These will become Gnomes’ noses.
- Download, print and cut out CRAFT STICK GNOME PATTERNS.
- Trace onto red, white, yellow, and blue cardstock with a pencil or pen according to directions on pattern sheet. Cut out just inside the traced lines for a clean, finished project.
- Draw a series of “X’s” down the center of each braid with a yellow washable marker.
- Assemble the boy and girl Gnomes with the glue gun and glue sticks, using the photo as a guide.
- Embellish the Gnomes’ hats with a pom pom.
- To finish, tie twine into two bows and glue to the base of each braid.
CHANGE IT UP: Use colors that you have on hand to create a rainbow assortment of Gnomes!
Get Your Download!
For just $5 you can get an Instant Download of the entire project with both the Popsicle Stick Gnomes & Popsicle Stick Mushroom Puppets together! Click the photo!