Did you know you can make your own Easy Homemade Buttermilk Pancake Mix? This mix is so simple to make, and it requires no eggs. You just add water and make delicious pancakes. I’ve been making this mix since the pandemic, and my kids LOVE it! This post contains affiliate links.
I have a kid with an egg allergy, so I have to be extra careful when buying pancake mix. There is only one brand I could find in any of the grocery stores with no eggs in the ingredients.
It was often hard to find, and sometimes you could only find the small box that would pretty much feed my family of 6 in one sitting.
So, one day I ran out and decided to make my own and never looked back.
What do you need to make Easy Homemade Buttermilk Pancake Mix?
What I love about this mix is that all you need to do is add water. You don’t need any eggs at all, and they come out delicious!
We love the flavor of buttermilk pancakes, so I use powdered buttermilk. But, you can substitute and use regular powdered milk for this recipe.
You’ll also need flour, white sugar, salt, baking soda, and baking powder.
How do you make Easy Homemade Buttermilk Pancake Mix?
I usually make a double batch at a time because this mix goes fast with 6 in your family. My kids love pancakes, so this is an easy breakfast, lunch or dinner!
Combine all the ingredients and blend with a whisk. That’s all there is to it!
Then, I transfer it to gallon-size ziplock bag and label the bag with how to mix it up which is 1 Cup Mix + 3/4 Cup Water.
I just recently got a wide mouth 1/2 gallon size mason jar to use instead of the ziplock bag since it’s on the counter so much from use!
Get the Label
How do you cook pancakes from the Easy Homemade Buttermilk Pancake Mix?
To make a batch of pancakes, you’ll need:
1 Cup of Pancake Mix + 3/4 Cup of Water
This amount will make about nine 4-inch pancakes.
I like to use a nonstick skillet and cook 3 pancakes at a time.
Use a nonstick oil spray and set the skillet on medium heat. While it’s warming up, mix up your batter. This is usually the perfect timing to make the skillet hot and ready.
I only need to use the oil spray on the very first set of pancakes, and then the pancakes don’t stick at all for the rest of the batch.
Can I add mix ins to these pancakes?
Absolutely! We add chocolate chips to the batter all the time. Here are a few other ideas to add to the batter:
- Chocolate Chip Pancakes: 1 cup of chocolate chips
- Blueberry Pancakes: 1/2 cup of blueberries (1 cup if you want extra!)
- Peanut Butter Pancakes: 1/3 cup of peanut butter
- Strawberry Pancakes: 1/2 cup diced strawberries (want chocolate? add 1/2 cup of chocolate chips, too)
- Pumpkin Spice Pancakes: 1/3 cup of pumpkin puree and 1/2 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
- Mixed Berry Pancakes: 1/2 cup of thawed mixed berries
- Apple Cinnamon Pancakes: 1/3 cup apple sauce and 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- Maple Bacon Pancakes: 1/2 cup chopped bacon and 1 tablespoon of maple syrup
- Bananarama Pancakes: Add sliced bananas on top of the partially cooked pancakes and then flip. A slather of Nutella is divine with this one!
Can I add milk instead of water to the homemade buttermilk pancake mix?
Yes you can! They are deliciously fluffy pancakes, too!
How do I store extra pancakes?
I put them in a ziplock bag in the fridge and just reheat a few on a plate for 20 seconds. They taste great to my kids!
You can even freeze the pancakes in ziplock freezer bags and reheat in the microwave. Depending on your microwave, they might reheat in 30-45 seconds on a plate.
Recipes to go with Pancakes
- Homemade Fresh Strawberry Syrup
- Dulce de Leche coffee
- Easy Cheesy Hashbrown Casserole
- Breakfast Mini Quiche
- Hashbrown Egg Nests
More Breakfast Ideas
- Ham and Cheese Breakfast Braid
- Bagel Breakfast Casserole with Sausage
- Sourdough S’mores Breakfast Casserole
- Breakfast Shepherd’s Pie
- 4 1/2 cups flour
- 3/4 cup buttermilk powder
- 2 tablespoons baking powder
- 1 tablespoons baking soda
- 1 1/4 teaspoons salt
Making the Pancake Mix
Combine all ingredients and whisk together.
Keep in a sealed container up to a month.
Making the Pancakes
Combine 1 cup of pancake mix with 1 cup of water.
Preheat the skillet to medium and spray with nonstick oil spray before the first batch only.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 268Total Fat: 1gSaturated Fat: 0gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 1gCholesterol: 7mgSodium: 1091mgCarbohydrates: 53gFiber: 2gSugar: 5gProtein: 10g
Any nutritional information on thetiptoefairy.com should only be used as a general guideline. This information is provided as a courtesy and there is no guarantee that the information will be completely accurate.