Well I just took a week of from the blog because half my family, including myself, were down with the flu. This time it was flu B. We actually had flu A in November. My family has never been hit so hard with all the sickies until these past couple of months. Between strep throat and flu, somebody has been sick every single week since early November.
One thing that never fails to make us all feel better is a good homemade soup like my Creamy Chicken Noodle Soup. My oldest daughter is home from college for a month between semesters, and when she came down with the flu over the weekend, this soup was the first thing she asked for.
What do you need to make Creamy Chicken Noodle Soup?
You’ll need chicken breasts, egg noodles, a can of sliced carrots, a can of diced potatoes, some minced garlic, cream cheese, and some milk or half and half.
How do you make Creamy Chicken Noodle Soup?
It’s very simple to make and you can use any kind of chicken. It can be canned chicken or leftover rotisserie chicken. I usually use fresh boneless chicken breasts thighs. Thighs are my favorite because we prefer dark meat.
I cook 3-4 chicken thighs in olive oil in my dutch oven and then shred them directly in the pot. Then, I add the carrots and potatoes. I do not drain the veggies first. Next, I add the chicken broth and cream cheese and let it come to a boil.
Then it’s time to add the frozen egg noodles and let it simmer for 20 minutes or so, stirring occasionally. Just when I’m ready to serve, I add the cream and stir up into the soup.
This makes great leftovers. However, the noodles soak up all the liquid, so it’s usually more of a casserole at that point. But, my family still just devours the leftovers, too.
More Soup Recipes
- Creamy Chicken Alfredo Tortellini Soup
- Chicken Minestrone Soup
- Tomato Beef Stew
- Tomato Bisque Soup
- Easy Italian Wedding Soup
Creamy Chicken Noodle Soup
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3-4 boneless chicken thighs or chicken breasts
- 32 oz chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 can sliced carrots
- 1 can diced potatoes
- 2 cups water
- 1 package of Reames frozen egg noodles
- 3 oz cream cheese, softened
- 1/3 cup cream or half and half
- Cook 3-4 boneless, skinless chicken thighs or chicken breasts in olive oil in the dutch oven and then shred them directly in the pot.
- Add the carrots and potatoes -- do not drain the veggies first.
- Add the chicken broth.
- Add the cream cheese cut in small pieces and let the soup come to a boil.
- Add the frozen egg noodles and let it simmer for 20 minutes or so, stirring occasionally.
- Just when ready to serve, add the cream and stir it into the soup.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 257Total Fat: 15gSaturated Fat: 6gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 7gCholesterol: 112mgSodium: 618mgCarbohydrates: 11gFiber: 1gSugar: 2gProtein: 21g
Any nutritional information on thetiptoefairy.com should only be used as a general guideline. This information is provided as a courtesy and there is no guarantee that the information will be completely accurate.
It’s simple to make and just hits the right spot when you don’t feel well or when it’s -10 degrees outside. We do not see the temperatures drop into the teens very often. It has been unseasonably cold down here in Texas, so I’ve been making soups to warm us all up.