One of my favorite things about summer is the berries. Long ago when I lived in a small town in East Texas, I had wild blackberry brambles growing through my bushes in the front yard. They grew completely wild and would just choke our bushes, but I loved them. When my oldest was little, we’d go outside and eat the blackberries right off the vines.
I’ve been a little scared to try growing any blackberries or raspberries here because I hear snakes love them — which is a total deterrent for me. So now, I buy them at the store any chance I get.
This week blueberries were a $1 a half pint, and I couldn’t pass those up, and I had the perfect dessert in mind — a summer berry tart! Earlier this week I found vanilla bean paste at the natural grocery store. I was thrilled! I’ve been dying to try it. It’s sort of like the consistency of honey. It’s a great alternative to regular vanilla. However, if you see vanilla bean paste in a recipe you can easily substitute just regular ol’ vanilla.
Now onto this amazing dessert! It’s very easy to make. Preheat the oven to 425. Then, unwrap one frozen piece of puff pastry and place it on parchment paper on a cookie sheet.
Now to make the tart so that the edges puff up to hold in the tart ingredients, you’ll score a 1-inch border all the way around. Just use a sharp nice and cut about halfway through the puff pastry all the way around.
Once it’s scored, paint an egg wash over just the edges. Then, sprinkle the edges with sugar all the way around.
Bake it for about 10-12 minutes until it reaches that golden brown. Then, let it cool in the fridge before adding the rest of the ingredients.
While the crust is cooling, the rest of the ingredients are quick and easy. First, take about a cup of blueberries and add about 1/3 cup of sugar. Mix thoroughly and then heat in the microwave for 1 1/2 minutes. This makes a quick and easy compote. When you remove it from the microwave give it a quick stir and set aside to cool.
Now take the package of cream cheese that should now be at room temperature and add 1 teaspoon of vanilla bean paste (or vanilla). Then add 1/4 cup of sugar (or powdered sugar). Mix it up until it’s well combined, and then heat it in the microwave for about 30-45 seconds. Then, stir it until it’s smooth.
Remove the crust from the fridge and pile on the vanilla bean cream cheese.
Spread it to the scored edges of the tart crust.
Spoon over the blueberry compote all over the cream cheese. Then, place it in the fridge until ready to serve.
This is one of my favorite desserts. So delicious and absolutely perfect for summer. You can substitute other berries easily for this one. You can also use flavored cream cheese spreads instead of making your own.
An easy recipe for a delicious dessert!
10 minPrep Time
10 minCook Time
20 minTotal Time
- 1 puff pastry sheet, defrosted
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon sugar + 1/4 cup of sugar
- 1/3 cup powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla bean paste (or vanilla)
- 1 cup blueberries
- 8 oz cream cheese, softened
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Lay parchment paper down on a cookie sheet and unfold 1 puff pastry sheet onto it.
- Score a 1-inch edge around the pastry, careful not to cut all the way through. This creates an edge to hold in the tart ingredients.
- Beat 1 egg, and then brush the edge with the egg wash.
- Take 1 tablespoon of sugar and sprinkle it all around the edge.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes until golden brown.
- Remove from oven and chill in the fridge as you make other ingredients.
- Wash 1 cup of blueberries and then mix with 1/4 cup of sugar.
- Cook in the microwave for 2 minutes. Remove, stir and set aside to cool.
- Take cream cheese and mix with 1/3 cup powdered sugar (or regular sugar, if you're in a pinch).
- Next, add the vanilla bean paste (or regular vanilla) to the mixture and stir until well combined.
- Heat for about 30 seconds in the microwave.
- Take puff pastry from fridge and spread vanilla bean cream cheese to the scored edge.
- Next spoon over the blueberry compote all over the cream cheese.
- Chill in the fridge until ready to serve.
Now for the fun! Hop over and visit the other blogs and check out their simple summer recipes too!
#1> The Crumby Cupcake– Mini Strawberry Limeade Galettes
#2> Divas Run For Bling– Skinny Banana Split Trifle
#3> Prototype Mama– Strawberry Banana Yogurt Cones
#4> House of Fauci’s – Mini Strawberry Banana Pizza
#5> The TipToe Fairy– Summer Berry Tart