Fancy your chocolate box cake mix into these Upside Down Ice Cream Cone Cupcakes
- 1 box of chocolate cake mix
- Gold foil cupcake liners
- 1 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 4–5 cups powdered sugar
- 1/4 cup heavy whipping cream
- 2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup rainbow confetti sprinkles
- medium ice cream scoop
Ice Cream Cupcake Toppings
- Preheat oven to 350 F degrees.
- Follow the directions on the back of the box of the cake mix with the water, eggs, and milk.
- Scoop the batter into the cupcake liners and fill about 3/4 way full.
- Bake in the oven for 20-21 minutes.
- Allow to cool completely.
- Using an electric mixer beat the butter on medium speed until creamy.
- Mix in the powdered sugar, heavy whipping cream, and vanilla extract until combined and smooth.
- If the frosting is to thin, mix in 1/4 cup more of powdered sugar.
- Fold in the sprinkles.
Decorate the Cupcakes
- Once the frosting is made and the cupcakes are completely cool, use an ice cream scooper to scoop a big dollop of frosting onto the top of the cupcake.
- Lay out a piece of wax paper. Fill a shallow bowl with sprinkles.
- Melt the Ghirardelli chocolate until melted and smooth. Melt at 30 second increments and stirring each time is the best way to make it smooth and melted.
- Then, dip the edge of each cone into the melted chocolate and immediately dip into the bowl of sprinkles. Set each cone on the wax paper to allow to dry.
- Transfer the rest of the melted chocolate to a squeeze bottle.
- While the cones are drying, pipe the melted chocolate onto the frosting to look like hot fudge.
- Immediately sprinkle some confetti sprinkles onto the chocolate before it dries.
- Top each cupcake with a ice cream cone and maraschino cherry with the stem. You’ll want to work fairly quickly at this so that the cherry can stick to the chocolate before it dries.
Keywords: ice cream cupcakes, cupcakes, sundae cupcakes, chocolate sundae cupcakes, cupcakes