It’s time for another addition of Crazy Cupcake Flavors from a Box. Since it’s summer time, I was thinking about the fun things we do during the summer, and do you know what came to mind?
Smores! Who doesn’t love that combination of graham crackers and melted chocolate and roasted marshmallows while camping out on a cool summer night? Yum!
I decided to make Smores Cupcake complete with graham cracker crust and marshmallows. To add a little something extra, I made Brown Butter Cream Cheese Vanilla Bean Frosting. Oh my is that stuff good, but what a mouthful to say! And then, to top them off – a little sprinkle of graham cracker dust. Plus, I added teeny, tiny little marshmallows (like the ones you find in hot chocolate) in vanilla and chocolate. Those little things are so cute!
The secret to these cupcakes is that they are stuffed with marshmallows. Have you ever tried baking with marshmallows? They can be a total nightmare the way they melt, but I’ve found a way to make it work with these cupcakes.
First, you fill the cupcake liners as usual. Then, pop a marshmallow in the middle of each one and push it down into the cupcake. Bake the cupcakes for 13 minutes. At this point the marshmallows should be melted down into puddles of goo. You might need to gently use a spoon to gather the edges of the melted marshmallow back into middle of the cupcake. Then, add a second marshmallow exactly where the first one was and bake for another 2-3 minutes. This will melt it perfectly, and you have a marshmallow stuffed cupcake!Print
- 1 box Devil’s Food cake mix
- 3 eggs
- 1½ cups buttermilk
- 1 pkg of chocolate pudding mix (I love Hershey’s dark chocolate pudding mix)
- 1 pkg of marshmallows (not the mini size)
- 1¾ cup of crushed graham crackers (check the baking aisle, Honey Maid sells crushed now!)
- ¼ cup sugar
- ⅔ cup butter, melted
- ½ cup butter, browned
- 8 oz cream cheese, softened
- Scraped seeds from ½ a vanilla bean pod
- 4–5 cups powdered sugar
- 2–3 tbs milk
- Leftover graham cracker crust mix
- Kraft Jet Puffed Mallow Minis – Vanilla
- Kraft Jet Puffed Mallow Minis – Chocolate
- Preheat oven to 350. Add liners to cupcake tins.
- Melt butter. Then, mix crushed graham cracker, butter, and sugar.
- Add about 1 tbs of graham cracker crust mix to each cupcake liner.
- Use the flat bottom of a small measuring cup and press the graham cracker flat into the cupcake liner bottom. It might go up a little on the sides, that’s fine.
- Bake for 10 minutes. Then, allow to cool while mixing up the cupcake batter.
- In an electric mixer combine cake mix, buttermilk, pudding mix, and eggs.
- Then, beat on medium for 2 minutes to get a smooth batter.
- Fill each cupcake liner about ⅔ full.
- Take a marshmallow and push it into the middle of each cupcake batter until it hits the graham cracker crust.
- Bake for 13 minutes (until cupcake looks done and marshmallows are puddles of goo.) Remove from oven.
- Add a second marshmallow and push down the same way. It will stick out just a little.
- Pop the cupcakes back into the oven for an additional 2-3 minutes.
- Remove from oven and allow to cool.
- On medium heat, melt and brown the butter until it has little brown flecks and smells nutty. Immediately remove from heat and allow to cool.
- Once the butter is cool, add it and the softened cream cheese to the mixer and beat until smooth.
- Add the vanilla beans scraped from the pod plus 2 cups of powdered sugar.
- Add 1-2 tbsp of milk. Beat until well combined.
- Then, add 1 cup of powdered sugar at a time beating until well combined. Add more milk if necessary.
- Once you have the consistency desired, beat on high for an additional 5 minutes.
- Starting in the middle of the marshmallow, swirl the frosting outward about 3-4 times.
- Top the cupcakes with both vanilla and chocolate Mallow Bits and then a pinch or two of leftover graham cracker crust.