As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
I’ve been working on creating a good edible mud slime recipe for awhile. I have a toddler who LOVES to taste everything. I can never let her go near her sister’s slime or playdough because she wants to taste it all.
This mud slime is safe to taste and eat, but since there no sugar in it, it’s not a yummy taste. It’s made with water, Metamucil (psyllium), and cocoa powder. As it cooks in the microwave, it has a strong smell, but it dies down once it cools off.
After it comes out of the microwave, it will be boiling hot, so I recommend to keep it in the bowl, cover it with plastic wrap, and put it in the fridge for 30 minutes to an hour, until it’s completely cooled.
Once it’s cooled, it’s very slippery and jiggly. It does stick to fingers a little bit, but it’s very easy to wash off. We added candy rocks and played with cars driving in the mud. It’s definitely fun to drive your little cars in and around to go “off roading.”
As long as you store it in a closed container, it will last a few days. I would recommend if you’re making a sensory bin with this slime to make a double or triple batch to have enough to cover the entire bin.Print
Edible Mud Slime
- Total Time: 6 minutes
- Yield: 1 cup edible slime 1x
Make this edible mud slime for taste safe sensory play.
- 1 cup water
- 1 teaspoon Metamucil
- 1 teaspoon cocoa powder
- Add the Metamucil and cocoa powder to a microwave safe bowl and mix together.
- Stir in the water.
- Heat for 1 minute in the microwave and then stir.
- Heat for an additional 2 minutes in the microwave and then stir.
- Heat for 2 more minutes in the microwave.
- Remove from the microwave and check for slime consistency. If it’s still runny like water, add an additional minute.
- While your slime is cooking, watch it carefully, so it does not boil over.
- Allow it to cool completely before playing with it.
- Prep Time: 1 minute
- Cook Time: 5 minutes
Keywords: edible slime, edible mud slime, mud slime, taste safe slime
Here’s some other fun slime recipes to make: