I have fallen in love with brown butter, and I knew my next move was to find a way to put it in cupcakes. And, this was when Banana Caramel Cupcakes with Brown Butter Frosting were born.
I had bananas that were about to go bad, and my husband loves anything with banana in it. So, I decided to try my hand at banana cupcakes made from basic white cake mix. To make them extra special, I cored the cupcakes and soaked the inside with dulce de leche sauce. Then, I topped them in amazing brown butter cream cheese frosting.
What’s in these banana caramel cupcakes?
They are delicious. The banana flavor combined with the soaked in caramel sauce is so yummy! I love that you can see the little flecks of brown butter in the frosting. This frosting is so good, you want to just eat a giant spoonful of it.
If you love banana muffins or bread, this just might be your cupcake. And, this frosting is amazing! The nutty flavor just melts into your mouth into pure deliciousness.
If you have never made brown butter before, Simply Recipes has an excellent picture tutorial. It’s really easy to make, and there’s so much to do with it. It’s not just for desserts. There are tons of savory recipes out there for brown butter, too.
More Cupcake Recipes
- How to make S’mores Cupcakes
- Grape Soda Cupcakes
- Chocolate Bourbon Pecan Pie Cupcakes
- Pumpkin Cheesecake Cupcakes
- How to make Bubblegum Cupcakes
- 1 white cake mix box
- 3 eggs
- 1 1/4 cups buttermilk
- 3-4 large bananas, mashed
Brown Butter Frosting
- 1/2 cup salted butter (1 stick)
- 8 oz. package cream cheese, softened at room temperature
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 3-4 cups powdered sugar
- Preheat oven to 350 and place cupcake papers into muffin tins.
- Combine all ingredients and mix until combined. Then, with the mixer on medium, beat for an additional 2 minutes until the batter is smooth.
- Fill each cupcake paper 2/3 full.
- Bake for about 15 minutes, until done.
- Let cool.
- Core the center of each cupcake and fill with dulce de leche sauce or caramel syrup.
Brown Butter Frosting
- Cut the butter into 1 tbs pats. Then heat a small skillet on medium high.
- Add the butter and continuously stir. It will start to foam.
- Once the foaming stops, little brown flecks will form, and it will smell nutty.
- Remove from heat and let cool.
- When it is room temperature, combine with vanilla and cream cheese in an electric mixer on medium speed. Beat until smooth
- Gradually add 1 cup of powdered sugar at a time until you get the consistency you desire.
- Frost cupcakes.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 327Total Fat: 8gSaturated Fat: 5gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 3gCholesterol: 44mgSodium: 105mgCarbohydrates: 63gFiber: 1gSugar: 59gProtein: 2g
Any nutritional information on thetiptoefairy.com should only be used as a general guideline. This information is provided as a courtesy and there is no guarantee that the information will be completely accurate.
I hope you like these cupcakes as much as we did. Enjoy!