I love grilled cheese. It’s one of my favorite comfort foods. There’s more to grilled cheeses than white bread and a slice of American cheese. This Angel Food Cake Grilled Cheese is a special grilled cheese treat perfect for your sweetie pie on Valentine’s Day.
You can show your love by bringing your sweetie breakfast in bed. And, what better way to do that than with an Angel Food Cake Grilled Cheese. Yes! Angel Food Cake!
Angel Food Cake Grilled Cheese
Have you ever had Angel Food Cake french toast? The light and fluffy, yet dense cake is just perfect for soaking up french toast batter. Usually it comes in an angel food cake pan with a center hole, which makes it a bit difficult to cut into slices that would work for a grilled cheese.
I was at the grocery store a few days ago checking out the “day old” racks and found a loaf of angel food cake. I immediately thought “grilled cheese” and ran to grab strawberries and cream cheese.
I had make french toast batter for another breakfast recipe (coming next week!), and I had enough leftover to try out my plan. So, I cut two slices of angel food loaf, soaked them in the leftover batter for a couple of minutes, and then cooked them into french toast. Once those were done, I sliced some cream cheese and strawberries and made my angel food cake sandwich. Then, I added butter to the skillet and turned my angel food cake sandwich into a grilled cheese.
I couldn’t stand it, so I hate half of it. It was divine! Nate was still lounging in bed on Saturday morning so I brought him the other half for breakfast in bed, and he devoured it, too. The kids were still asleep, so they have no idea what they missed. 😉
Next time, I think I’m going to add a spoonful of Nutella or possibly broken chocolate bar pieces. But as it is, it was heavenly.
Looking for more grilled cheese sandwiches?Print
A quick and easy grilled cheese sure to delight anyone!
- Two 1-inch slices of angel food cake
- 2 large strawberries, sliced thinly
- 1–2 tablespoons of cream cheese, softened
- 1 egg
- 1 cup of whole milk or half and half.
- 1/3 of a vanilla bean, scraped seeds (or a dash or vanilla)
- a dash of cinnamon
- 1 pat of butter
- Slice two 1-inch slices of angel food cake.
- Then, slice two strawberries.
- Next, mix up the milk, egg, cinnamon, and vanilla bean.
- Soak the two slices of angel food cake in the batter.
- Cook them in a skillet like you would french toast.
- When done, remove from skillet and assemble the sandwich with cream cheese and strawberries.
- Melt the butter in the skillet and cook the sandwich until the cream cheese has melted.
- Make sure not to burn the angel food cake, so flip every couple of minutes.
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 6 minutes
- Category: Breakfast
- Cuisine: American