This weeks Sunday Supper theme is Welcome Spring. I couldn’t think of a more Spring-y recipe than a refreshing glass of Lavender Lemonade, but I decided to add a twist and make it limeade with a splash of vanilla.
Lavender in Limeade
I’ve been wanting to make a lavender drink for quite some time. I ordered this set of botanical herbs and I knew exactly what I was going to do with the lavender – make Vanilla Lavender Limeade.
You get a big bag of 2 cups of each of these herbs, and they are so lovely. There’s so much you can do with them! My next project is the rosebuds – stay tuned!
How to make Vanilla Lavender Limeade
So here’s how I made the Vanilla Lavender Limeade.
I juiced 6 limes and 1 lemon, and then combined that with a simple syrup I made on the stove. I added about a teaspoon of vanilla extract to the simple syrup as it reached a boil.
My fine mesh strainer was no where to be found, so I used a paper towel and a colander and poured 2 cups of boiling water over the lavender to make lavender water. It comes out a pale yellow color. Then, I added 3 drops of neon purple food coloring to the limeade a lavender color. You can totally skip this step, but I thought it was so pretty.
This recipes makes about 2 quarts.Print
- 6 limes
- 1 lemon
- 2 tablespoons culinary lavender
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups boiling water
- 4 cups cold water
- Juice the limes and lemon and set aside.
- Boil 2 cups of water and pour over the lavender in a fine mesh strainer.
- Add 1-3 drops of neon purple food coloring, if desired. Then, set aside.
- Mix together sugar, vanilla, and cold water. Bring to a boil and stir occasionally until all the sugar is dissolved.
- As soon as all the sugar is dissolved remove from fire.
- Combine the sugar syrup with the lime/lemon juice in a 2 quart pitcher.
- Pour the lavender water into the pitcher and stir.
- Add 1-2 cups of ice to the pitcher.
- Serve immediately. Add a few lavender buds to the top of each drink for garnish.
This is a wonderfully refreshing drink. It’s not perfume-y in the least. Plus, you’ll get the calming and soothing benefits of lavender. A perfect drink after a long day!