The other day I was wishing that cinnamon rolls weren’t so hard to make. I hate making them — really I do. I’ve tried “quick” and “easy” cinnamon roll recipes. They are one thing I’d rather not make.
I started thinking how I could make it easier for myself. And then, I was thinking about cinnamon rolls and cupcakes, and I wondered if I could make cinnamon rolls as cupcakes. I went to check Pinterest, and other people had already had this idea, too! But…they made them from scratch. I decided to see if I could turn a box cake mix into cinnamon roll cupcakes.
Guess what? it worked! And, they are amazingly delicious! They taste like a cupcake, but like a cinnamon roll as well — like eating a really soft and fluffy cinnamon roll. So now we have another fun Crazy Cupcake flavor from a Box!!
This recipe made 24 cupcakes, so I sent the majority of them to my husband’s office on Friday. They were a big hit! In fact, Nate thinks they might have replaced the Pumpkin Cheesecake cupcakes as the all time favorite at his office. He got a lot of compliments and a few requests to move in with us 😉 I think you will love these and so will your recipients.
They are super easy to make and just wonderfully moist and delicious. Make sure you use a yellow or butter cake mix. Adding sour cream to the batter thickens it up so the cinnamon/sugar mixture doesn’t just completely fall to the bottom of the cupcake. There will be extra cinnamon/sugar mixture left over that you can put into a ziplock bag, snip a tiny corner that you can squeeze over the frosting for a cinnamon-y taste.Print
- 1 butter or yellow box cake mix
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup of water
- 1/3 cup of oil
- 1 cup of sour cream
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 3/4 cup of butter, melted
- 3 tsp cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 350
- Prepare cupcake liners in cupcake pans.
- Melt butter and add brown sugar and cinnamon. Mix thoroughly and set aside.
- Mix cake mix, eggs, water, oil, and sour cream until moistened. Then, mix on Medium speed for 2 minutes.
- Fill cupcake liners 1/3 full. Then, add 1/2 tsp of cinnamon/sugar mixture. Swirl with knife or toothpick.
- FIll cupcake liners 2/3 full. Then, add an additional 1/2 tsp of cinnamon/sugar mixture. Swirl with knife or toothpick.
- Bake for 15-17 minutes until done.
- While still hot, spoon over each cupcake about 1/2 tsp of cinnamon/sugar mixture and smooth over the top of each cupcake.
- Allow to cool before icing.
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 15 minutes
To finish your cinnamon roll cupcakes, make a cheesecake buttercream frosting. I used the frosting from my Pumpkin Cheesecake cupcakes, which you can find here. I made a small swirl to look like a cinnamon roll on each cupcake, then I piped the last of the cinnamon/sugar mixture to finish them off.