Do you ever just get a craving for something? I had a huge craving for brownies the other day. I hadn’t had one in forever, and I wanted toffee in them. So I made a batch and made them extra chocolaty and topped with yummy toffee bits.
My son is still raving about them a week later. These are ridiculously simple, but so good. I actually did not make these from scratch, but instead I doctored up a couple packages of brownie mix.
I had a couple of packages of the smaller brownie mixes for an 8 x 8 size pan. I combined the two of them and doubled the typical ingredients, and then I added extra water to make them more “cake like.” I quadrupled the water in the recipe. For one mix it called for 2 tablespoons, so 2 mixes would have been 1/4 cup, but I added 1/2 cup of water.
Then, I added a cup of semi sweet chocolate chips to the batter. I think dark chocolate chips would have been a good addition as well, and I had planned on using them instead. But, I was out of dark, so semi sweet it was. After I spread the brownie batter out in the pan, then I just poured and entire bag of chocolate toffee bits all over the brownies and set them to bake.
At 25 minutes, they were still a little jiggly in the middle, so I put them in for 5 more minutes. At 30 minutes, they were no longer jiggly. We let them cool for about an hour before I cut into them, and they were just perfect. They stayed moist and delicious for days.
- 2 packages brownie mix (8 x 8 size)
- 2 eggs
- 1/4 cup water
- 2/3 cup oil
- 1 cup semi sweet chocolate chips
- 8 oz bag of chocolate toffee bits
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Grease 9 x 13 inch pan.
- Combine two packages of the smaller brownie mixes (the 8 x 8 pan size)
- Add 2 eggs, 2/3 cup of oil, and 1/4 cup water.
- Mix by hand until moistened. It's okay if there's lumps.
- Add 1 cup of chocolate chips and mix until they are combined through the batter.
- Pour brownie batter into the pan and spread it out with spatula.
- Pour the bag of chocolate toffee bits all over the top of the brownie batter.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes, until done and the middle is no longer jiggly.
What’s your favorite thing to add to brownies?
Need a few more brownie ideas? Check these out: