Have you ever made candied nuts? I’ve made many recipes with pecans, but I’ve never made them into candied nuts before. Actually, I’ve never made any candied nuts. Surprisingly, this was such a satisfying little recipe to whip up. They were originally made to top the Chocolate Bourbon Pecan Pie Cupcakes that are coming up on the blog soon.
They were such a little thrill to make, and Nate loved snacking on them. So, I’ve made a few batches to use up the giant bag of pecans I bought for the cupcakes.
This recipes calls for bourbon. If you don’t do alcohol, or don’t have any in the house, no worries! Just add 1-2 tablespoons of water.
A simple recipe to turn pecans into candied bourbon nuts.
1 minPrep Time
15 minCook Time
16 minTotal Time
- 1 cup of pecans (chopped OR halves)
- 2 tablespoons bourbon (can substitute water)
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp vanilla
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Combine all ingredients and mix until the pecans are well coated.
- Lay a piece of parchment paper on a cookie sheet and spread the pecans out on it.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes.
- Use a spatula to pull the pecans off the parchment before they permanently glue themselves. Then let them cool.
This recipe can be made using pecan halves or even chopped pecans. I did it with both. I wanted big pecan halves for the very top of the cupcakes, and I wanted chopped pecans to go around the frosting. I did use
Definitely use a slotted spoon when placing them on the parchment to remove any excess sugar mixture.
I learned the hard way that you need to scoop them up with a spatula and move them around on the pan before they cool. If you don’t, the pecans will be permanently glued to the parchment paper. 😉
Once cooled, top Chocolate Bourbon Pecan Pie cupcakes with freshly candied bourbon pecans. Click HERE for the recipe!