Have you ever made flavored sugars? I just started making them recently, and they are fantastic. I love citrus — grapefruit, lemon, and orange. Lemon sugar is just that wonderful combination of sweet and sour.
Today you can follow me as I make lemon sugar and then use it to make some fabulous lemon sugar cookies with blueberry frosting. I have worked on this cookie recipe so that they come out the softest, most amazing sugar cookies ever!
This is actually a two-part series for a Citrus Housewarming Basket. Today we’re making the goodies, and tomorrow I’m going to share a fun craft and my Citrus-y printables to put the whole basket together. I can’t wait to share the whole package!
I love lemons and blueberries. There’s just something about those two flavors together. A few years ago I made these Mascarpone Blueberry Lemon cupcakes that are just to die for! Ever since then, I’ve been hooked on lemon and blueberry.
First, we need to make lemon sugar. I think this is such a fun thing to make with your hands. Begin by zesting two large lemons onto a plate.
Next, add 3/4 cup of sugar to the zest. Then, mix with your hands.
Once it’s mixed thoroughly, it will feel a bit sticky or tacky. I store mine in the fridge for a couple weeks in a mason jar. You can make orange sugar or grapefruit sugar the same way.
You can use this for sweet rolls or on top of sugar cookies. I like to mix in about 1/2 cup of lemon sugar into my lemon sugar cookies. This is one of my secrets to making my cookies so soft.
A delicious lemon sugar cookie topped in blueberry frosting.
15 minPrep Time
5 minCook Time
20 minTotal Time
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 cup lemon sugar
- 1/4 cup fresh squeezed lemon juice
- 1 cup white sugar
- 2 eggs, room temperature
- 1 pkg of lemon pudding powder
- 3 cups flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup fresh blueberries
- 1/4 cup white sugar
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 16 oz powdered sugar
- 1 tablespoons corn syrup
- 4-5 tablespoons cream
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Combine flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Set aside.
- In a separate bowl, beat the butter and both sugars until whipped together.
- Beat in the eggs.
- Add lemon juice and lemon pudding powder until smooth.
- Add flour mixture one cup at a time until completely mixed.
- Using a cupcake batter size scoop, scoop cookies onto cookie sheet.
- Gently mash them down a little.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes. Remove from heat when they look almost done.
- Allow to cool completely before frosting.
- In a sauce pan, combine blueberries, white sugar, and water over medium heat.
- Allow it to reach a boil, and then, smash the blueberries with a potato masher.
- Using a sieve, strain the blueberries from the mixture. Set the mixture aside to cool.
- In a mixing bowl, beat the butter until creamy.
- Then, add the powdered sugar and mix until crumbly.
- Add the corn syrup and 2-3 tablespoons of cream.
- Beat on medium high and slowly add the blueberry sauce.
- Once it's incorporated beat on high. If it is too thick add 1-2 tablespoons of cream.
- Then, beat on high for 5-8 minutes until it's almost doubled in size.
- Fit a large star tip on a frosting bag and fill it.
- Pipe swirls of frosting on each cookie.
- Let them sit to harden for a few hours.
With all this cold weather, I had to make something to bring on spring! The cookies are super soft, and I am seriously so in love with this frosting. I wasn’t really sure if it would harden since I was adding blueberry sauce, but it worked out perfectly! Don’t you love it when your recipe comes together?
Part of the reason I made these is that I’ve never seen lemon cookies topped with blueberry frosting. So, I thought I’d try it out, and I’m just so pleased! And the taste! It’s just divine! It’s the perfect combination of lemon tartness and sweet blueberry. These are very rich and indulgent cookies. You’ll only want to eat one at a time.
Don’t forget to come back tomorrow! I’m going to package these little pretties up into a housewarming basket you are going to love! Complete with some amazing treats and printables! I’ve already got one of them hanging in my kitchen!