It’s a feast to remember in celebration for My Big Fat Greek Wedding 2 with all the yummy Greek food you can imagine!
I decided to make an oldie. In fact, I’ve read that this may have been the first recipe written down in Ancient Greece. It’s Loukoumades, and sometimes called Loukoumathes — Greek Donuts. They are delicious and light and fluffy. These are super simple to make with just a few ingredients.
This recipe is just water, yeast, flour, sugar, and salt. I found it will double in size in about an hour and look very foamy and bubbly. When I was ready to start dropping dough into the oil it was bubbling at me. I didn’t stir the dough at all because I didn’t want it to fall drastically when I started making the donuts.
I’ve read quite a few recipes for Loukoumades, and a few reference dipping a spoon in the hot oil before dipping it into the dough to drop spoonfuls into the hot oil. I tried this the first few times I made the donuts, but I didn’t find it really did anything special.
In making these, I found you should make the Honey syrup first and let it cool for an hour or so before you make the donuts. This way you can immediately ladle it over the donuts and serve them immediately when they’re crispy and hot followed by a few dashes of cinnamon. If you wait too long, they get a soft.Print
- 1 cup lukewarm water
- 1 packet of dry yeast
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon white sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup lukewarm milk
- olive oil for frying
- 1 cup honey
- 2 cups water
- 1 cup sugar
- Combine honey, sugar, and water in a microwave safe container. Heat for 3 minutes on high.
- Stir, and then heat for an 3-5 minutes until it has come to a rolling boil.
- Remove from microwave and stir one last time.
- Let cool for a few minutes before putting it in the fridge to cool for an hour or so.
- Combine lukewarm water and yeast and stir until yeast is well combined in the water. Let sit for 2-3 minutes.
- Combine flour, sugar, and salt and mix together.
- Add the milk and mix together again.
- Once the yeast has been activated. Add about half of it and stir and then the second half and stir until you get a runny pancake batter consistency.
- Cover with a clean towel and put in a warm place to rise for about an hour.
- When it has doubled in size, heat up about 2-3 inches of olive oil.
- When the oil is hot, drop about 6 spoonfuls of dough at a time.
- Flip them over when golden brown.
- Transfer to paper towels to soak up the excess oil.
- When the donuts are all made, pour 3-4 ladles of honey syrup over the donuts. Then, sprinkle with cinnamon.
- Serve immediately.
Looking for more Greek dishes? Check out all these amazing recipes!
- Greek Salad (Horiatiki Salata) by Angels Home Sweet Homestead
- Greek-Style Sliders with Feta Aioli by Grumpy’s Honeybunch
- Mushroom, Kalamata Olive and Feta Stuffed Phyllo with Whipped Feta Dip by Pook’s Pantry
- Rosemary and Olive Grissini by What Smells So Good?
- Socca Pizza with Spinach, Roasted Tomatoes, Kalamata Olives, and Feta by The Wimpy Vegetarian
- Spanakopita Bites by My Imperfect Kitchen
- Tiropitas (Greek Cheese Triangles ) by Moore or Less Cooking
- Tyropita Appetizer Bites by The Freshman Cook
- Avgolemono Chicken Zoodle Soup by Cupcakes & Kale Chips
- Quick and Easy Greek Avgolemono Soup by Confessions of a Cooking Diva
- Shrimp Avgolemono with Spinach by Monica’s Table
- Vegetarian Magiritsa (Greek Easter Soup) by Palatable Pastime
- Baklava French Toast with Cinnamon Honey Syrup by A Mind Full Mom
Greek Main Dishes:
- Brizola (Greek-style Pork Chops) by Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Chicken Greek Salad Flatbread by Family Foodie
- Greek Chirashi Sushi by NinjaBaker
- Greek Breakfast Wraps by Brunch-n-Bites
- Greek Meatball Salad by Magnolia Days
- Gyro Meatballs with Lemon Rice by Casa de Crews
- Kotopita (Greek Chicken Pie) by Curious Cuisiniere
- Mediterranean Meatball Gyros Sandwich by Life Tastes Good
- Slow-Cooked Lamb Shoulder with Roasted Vegetables by Food Lust People Love
- Souvlaki Chicken Wraps with Homemade Tzatziki by The Crumby Cupcake
- Youvetsi (Greek beef or lamb and orzo stew) by Caroline’s Cooking
Greek Side Dishes:
- Greek-style rice salad by Pine Needles In My Salad
- Greek Zucchini Fritters by Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Homemade Tzatziki Sauce by Cosmopolitan Cornbread
- Spanakorizo by Feeding Big and More
- Chocolate Baklava by The Chef Next Door
- Greek Lemon Cake by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Greek Spice Cake by Our Good Life
- Greek Walnut Cake by Pies and Plots
- Greek Wedding Cookies – Kourabiethes/Kourabiedes by La Bella Vita Cucina
- Loukoumades – Greek Donuts by The TipToe Fairy
- Loukoumades (Greek honey fritters) by The Redhead Baker
- Ouzito: The Greek Mojito by Hardly A Goddess
Plus Baked Shrimp with Feta plus More Greek Cuisine from Sunday Supper Movement
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter on Sunday! We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm ET. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. To get more great Sunday Supper Recipes, visit our website or check out our Pinterest board. Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? It’s easy. You can sign up by clicking here: Sunday Supper Movement.