Here is the big tutorial! You would be surprised how many hits I get for a breastfeeding cover. Hopefully soon I will have modeling pics from my SIL and her baby. Also, I will turn it into a downloadable tutorial over the weekend, but here it is for now. I have a 2-layer version coming very soon.
1 yd of fabric A
¼ yd of fabric B
½ yd of Rigilene boning
2 D rings
1. With fabric A cut:
1 piece 36 x 28 inches
1 strips 2 x 6 inches
1 strips 2 x 20 inches
2. With fabric B cut:
2 strips 2 ¼ x 28 inches – these are strips #1
2 strips 2 ¼ x 37 inches – these are strips #2
3. Press fabric B strips in ½ lengthwise.
4. Line up raw edges of folded strips #1 with raw edges of right side of fabric A large piece. For strips #2, fold in the extra ½ inch on each edge of the 37-inch strips before sewing so there are no raw edges. Then only sew one of strip #2 (this will be the bottom edge).
5. For the second strip #2, fold in and pin the ½ inch at the raw edges. Next, mark the center of the strip and measure out from the center 8 inches and mark these points. Then insert the boning and tack it at the two 8 inch lengths from the center. Then stretch out the strip (because it will want to curl with the boning), and sew right down the middle lengthwise to create a casing for the boning.
6. Now attach this strip #2 to the last raw edge of fabric A.
7. Press all seams toward the inside of the cover, and then topstitch on fabric A all the way around to hold the seams in place.
8. To create the straps – fold the straps lengthwise with right sides together, sew lengthwise and then sew one end closed. Turn straps right side out. If you have a tube turner, use it to flip the straps right side out. If you have a chopstick or a knitting needle, you can do this easily as well.
9. Line raw edge up with seam of the back cover. (It does not matter which side is the shorter one). Pin raw edge of each strip to back of cover at the edges of the boning. Tack at topstitching and at the edge of the cover on both straps.
10. Take short strap and insert it through both D rings, then fold over the edge and tack it.
11. Now insert the larger strap through one D ring and under the second D ring and pull back through the first one (like a belt).
…And you are done!