We are a messy family all in the name of creative play. We LOVE to make messes and that’s okay, especially when it’s engaging for my children.
Right now, there is a blanket covered in “beach things” laying across the living room floor with another blanket next to it all messed up to look like “water.” My 3 year old set the entire thing up, and I find it amazing. We took her to the beach when she just turned 2, and it’s one of her most cherished and vivid memories. I just love how imaginative she is.
A few months ago, we had great fun making Gak out of white school glue. All 3 of my kids had a blast making it! Even now, they will spend what seems like hours playing with it with all sorts of my kitchen tools and gadgets.
My preschooler and I were dragging Nate around Walmart late one Friday night, when we saw glitter glue. We had to have it and picked up bottles of purple and yellow. On the way home we decided we were going to make Glitter Gak over the weekend.
If you’ve made regular gak before, we made it the same exact way. This is a super easy crafty tutorial that even a preschooler can make. I let my 3 year old make the entire thing from start to finish while I took pictures. She loved every minute of it.
- 1 tsp Borax
- 1 Bottle of glitter glue
- 1 cup of water
1. Pour the glue out in a medium-sized bowl.
2. Fill the bottle of glue with warm water 1 1/2 times (about 1 cup total).
3. Add 1 tsp of borax to the water/glue mixture and stir until the glue begins to get stringy.
4. Dip your hands in and start working the glue until it forms a kind of slime. You’ll be kneading it in your hands and squeezing out excess water.
5. You’ll know it’s done when it doesn’t stick to you like glue, but it’s more of a squishy solid.
6. Play with it until your heart is content. Store in a sealed container such as a ziplock bag or jar.
Oh my goodness- I don’t even have kids and I want this!!! Pinned!
My daughter saw me pinning this and now wants to make it! It does look like fun. We’re going to do this over spring break. Thanks for sharing!