It’s almost New Year’s! Where has the year gone? I bought a bottle of champagne to celebrate, and then it hit me. Wouldn’t a champagne poke cake be just divine?
But….You would not believe what happened to me with this darn cake. I had just poured the champagne jello mix over the cake and was putting it in the fridge when I dropped it! I was so mad because I thought it was ruined.
However, I was smart enough to put the lid on it before I was putting it in the fridge, so the cake stayed in the pan. Then, I got the best idea, and believe it or not I couldn’t even find anything like it on Pinterest! I’ll share the recipe on Wednesday!
After my mishaps, I made another cake and got back to work on my pink champagne poke cake!
I actually got this champagne poke cake idea as we’ve been trapped in the house for days with horrible tornado weather. We had some terrible storms this weekend. Every time we thought it would die down and attempted to leave the house, it started hailing. So, we stayed home and I cooked and baked.
I can’t wait to share this champagne poke cake with you! It’s so delicious! It’s just uber easy to make. You make it like a regular poke cake with jello, but you just add 1/2 cup of champagne to the jello mix!
After you bake the cake, let it sit for a little while to cool. Then, poke holes about 1 inch apart throughout the cake. (You do not have to make a cake from scratch. Just make a box cake mix in yellow or white like I did).
I actually found a straw works totally better than the end of a wooden spoon. The wooden spoon always gets gummed with cake, and if I don’t remove it, the holes get bigger. But with a paper straw, it never got gummed up once.
After I dissolved all the jello into the boiling water and champagne, I poured it over the entire cake.
Put the cake in the fridge for at least 4 hours. I put mine in overnight since I made it around midnight.
A New Year's Eve twist on poke cake!
2 minPrep Time
10 minCook Time
12 minTotal Time
- 1 box cake mix (white or yellow) - made according to instructions
- 1 large box of strawberry jello powder
- 1/2 cup pink champagne
- 2 cups boiling water
- 2 sticks butter, softened
- 1/2 cup pink champagne
- 2 tablespoons whipping cream
- 4-5 cups powdered sugar
- Optional: a drop of pink food coloring gel
- Make the box cake mix according to instructions and bake in a 13 x 9 pan.
- Allow to cool before poking holes about 1-inch apart with a straw all along the top of the cake.
- Mix jello and champagne with 2 cups of boiling water. Stir until jello is completely dissolved.
- Pour over the entire cake.
- Chill cake in the fridge for at least 4 hours.
- Remove from fridge and add frosting.
- Beat butter on medium until smooth and creamy.
- Add half the powdered sugar and beat on medium.
- Slowly pour in the champagne and add the whipping cream.
- Continue adding powdered sugar 1 cup at a time until it reaches the right consistency.
- If you want a slight pink color add a small drop of pink food coloring gel. This is optional.
- Beat on high for 2-4 minutes to make it fluffy.
- Then spread over your poke cake after it's chilled for at least 4 hours.
- Let it sit for at least 15-20 minutes before serving to let the frosting crust up just a little.
This is a sure easy dessert you can whip up quickly for your New Year’s Eve party or get together!