A few weeks ago we had the Italian Feast Blog Hop and today it’s a Mexican Fiesta full of wonderful ideas from table settings to dessert!
I’m sharing a dessert to go along with our Mexican Fiesta. This is a super simple Tres Leches Cake perfect to end your Mexican Feast. What makes it so simple? You can use a french vanilla cake mix and turn it into this delicious treat! Here in Texas Tres Leches cake is very popular. You can usually always find it at the grocery store.
If you’ve ever made a poke cake, then you can make a tres leches cake. All you need to do is make the cake according to the directions. I make it in a 9 x 13 pan because I find it holds itself together much better than a round cake.
While the cake is baking, mix up the three milks. As soon as you pull the cake out of the oven, poke holes into it. Some people use the end of a wooden spoon, I’ve found a straw works better for me.
Pour over the milk mixture. Cover the cake and put it in the fridge for at least two hours. It’s even better if you can keep it in the fridge overnight. Then, you can either use store bought frosting or some people like a whipped cream or Cool Whip frosting. I felt this particular one needed a whipped cream / cream cheese frosting.
I whipped up the frosting and covered the top of the cake. Then, I sliced fresh strawberries to pretty it up with a garnish.
- 1 box french vanilla cake mix + ingredients required on box
- 1 cup evaporated milk
- 1 cup whole milk or half/half
- 1 can sweetened condensed milk
- 4-5 cups powdered sugar
- 8 oz cream cheese, softened
- about 2 tablespoons heavy cream
- fruit for garnish
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Grease a 9 x 13 pan.
- Prepare cake and bake according to instructions.
- While cake is baking, mix up all three milks together with a whisk.
- Remove cake from oven and immediately poke holes about 1 inch apart.
- Pour milk mixture over the entire cake.
- Cover cake and refrigerate for at least 2-3 hours, preferably overnight.
- When ready to frost the cake, mix up the powdered sugar, cream, and cream cheese.
- Beat frosting until it's whipped and fluffy.
- Frost the cake and add additional fruit garnish such as strawberries.
- Serve immediately.
Looking for more great ideas to put together your own Mexican Fiesta? Check out all these! There are tablescapes, main dishes, side dishes, and more!
What’s your favorite dish to serve for a Mexican Fiesta?