Victoria Sponge Cake
- 1 box cake mix – white or butter
- 3 egg whites
- 1 cup water
- 1/3 cup oil
- Raspberry or Strawberry jam
- 1 stick of butter, softened
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 2–3 tablespoons heavy cream
- 1–2 tablespoons powdered sugar
Victoria Sponge Cupcakes
- Preheat oven to 350 F degrees.
- Combine cake mix, oil and water, and mix until combined.
- Beat egg whites to stiff peaks.
- Gently fold egg whites into cake batter.
- Spray a cupcake tin with nonstick spray.
- Fill each cupcake tin halfway with batter.
- Bake for 15 minutes.
- Allow cupcakes to cool completely.
- Beat butter and 1 cup of powdered sugar on medium high with an electric mixer.
- While beating, add 1-2 tablespoons of heavy cream.
- Add second cup of powdered sugar.
- Add another 1-2 tablespoons of heavy cream if necessary.
- Beat for another 1-2 minutes until fluffy.
Prepare the cupcakes
- Carefully slice the tops off each cupcake.
- Gently mix together jam and buttercream and add a tablespoon to the middle of each cupcake.
- Replace the tops of cupcakes.
- Dust with powdered sugar.