A lovely breakfast for Valentine’s Day or any time – with Angel Food Cake!
- 1 angel food cake
- 1/2 stick butter, softened
- 1/4 cup + 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon white sugar
- 4 oz cream cheese, softened
- 1 pint of strawberries, washed and chopped
- 4 eggs
- 2 cups milk
- 2 cups half and half (or cream 😉 )
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- 1/2 vanilla bean, seeds scraped (or 1–2 tsp vanilla)
- Mix 1/4 cup brown sugar and butter and smear it all over the bottom of an 8 x 8 casserole dish.
- Cut half the cake and tear up into chunks and cover the bottom of the casserole dish.
- Chop up the strawberries.
- Combine the cream cheese and white sugar.
- Drop dollops of cream cheese all over the torn up cake.
- Then, cover it all with strawberries.
- In a large bowl or pitcher, beat 4 eggs and then add them to the milk and half and half.
- Add maple sugar and vanilla bean to milk mixture and stir to combine.
- Pour half or a little less than half of milk mixture all over casserole. Squish the cake down just a bit with your fingers to soak it up.
- Next, tear up the second half of the cake and cover all the strawberries.
- Pour the other half of the milk mixture (don’t overflow the casserole).
- Then, gently squish the cake again to soak it up.
- Sprinkle 1 tablespoon of brown sugar all over the top.
- Cover tightly with foil and let sit preferably overnight, but at a minimum 1 hour, in the fridge.
- When ready to bake, preheat oven to 350 and set casserole on top of stove to warm a little.
- When the oven is preheated, place casserole with foil in oven to bake for 45-50 minutes.
- Remove foil for the last 5-10 minutes.
- Let cool for 5-10 minutes and then serve.
- Category: Breakfast
- Cuisine: American