Easily make apricot pie filling to have year round with this recipe.
- 3 lb apricots (about 24 medium-sized apricots)
- 1 1/2 cup unfiltered apple juice (or apricot nectar or just water)
- 2 cups sugar
- 1/2 cup clear jel (REQUIRED FOR CANNING STORAGE)
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 cup lemon juice
- 2 pie crusts for one 9-inch pie
- 8 pie crusts for 40 hand pies
- 1 egg
- 2 tablespoons of raw sugar
- Wash and remove the pits on the apricots.
- Coarsely chop into small pieces.
- Combine apple juice, sugar, clear jel, and cinnamon in a dutch oven.
- Heat on medium, stirring occasionally, until it thickens and reaches a boil.
- Add the lemon juice and stir for about a minute.
- Add the coarsely chopped apricots and stir for 3-4 minutes.
- Immediately put into sterilized quart-size canning jars.
- Place in a canner with an inch of water over the tops and boil for 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 400 F degrees.
- Use two refrigerated pie crusts for a 9-inch pie plate.
- Place one pie crust as the bottom crust.
- Add one canned quart of apricots to the pie.
- Cover with second pie crust.
- Pinch edges together and cut slits in pie.
- Bake for 50 minutes until golden brown.
- If making hand pies, use the back of the hand pie maker to cut the hand pies.
- Fill each hand pie with 1/2 tablespoon of apricot pie filling.
- Pinch the pie together with hand pie maker.
- Brush each hand pie with egg wash and sprinkle with raw sugar.
- Bake for 15 minutes until golden brown.
- You can use water or regular apple juice or even apricot or peach nectar in place of the apple juice. I just think unfiltered apple juice brings a great flavor out in apricots and peaches, and I often use it when baking pies with these fruits.
- Clear Jel and Sure Jell are NOT the same thing. Clear Jel is a modified corn starch that the FDA says is safe for canning. Regular cornstarch and tapioca starch are not safe for canning.
- I use a second larger dutch oven and boil water to can the jars.
- Category: Dessert
- Method: baking
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: apricot pie, canned apricots, how to can apricots, how to make apricot pie filling,