I love making a healthier version of refried beans in my instant pot using a small amount of butter and bacon grease.
- 2 cups uncooked pinto beans, washed
- 1 teaspoon bacon grease
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Wash the pinto beans.
- Add them to the instant pot.
- Add 8 cups of water and salt.
- Set it to “Manual” for 4 minutes.
- When it turns to “Keep Warm” use the Natural Release.
- Wait until they’ve set for 10 minutes on “Keep Warm” and then remove and drain the beans.
- Add the prepared beans to the instant pot.
- Add 2 cups of water.
- Add a teaspoon of bacon grease. (If you don’t have bacon grease, add 1-2 slices of raw bacon to the pot.)
- Set the instant pot to “Manual” for 10 minutes.
- When it clicks to “Keep Warm” turn to natural release.
- When the steam is finished and the float valve is down, open the instant pot and transfer the beans to a bowl.
- Add the butter.
- Using a potato masher and smash the beans until there aren’t any more whole beans.
- If you prefer, a stick blender also works well to make a creamier texture to the beans.
- Serve immediately.
- Method: instant pot
- Cuisine: TexMex
Keywords: pinto beans, refried beans, healthier refried beans, instant pot, instant pot beans, mexican food, mexican beans, tostadas