Having a camping party? These Campfire Cupcakes are the perfect treat to celebrate!
- 1 box of Chocolate cake mix
- Water, vegetable oil, and eggs (back of cake mix box)
- 1 cups unsalted sweet cream butter (softened)
- 2 1/2 cups powdered sugar
- 1/4 cups cocoa powder
- 3 tablespoons heavy whipping cream
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 disposable piping bag fitted with a star tip
- Heat oven to 350 degrees.
- Prepare cupcake pan with brown cupcake liners.
- Make cake mix as directed on box for cupcakes.
- Fill cupcake liners 3/4’s full.
- Bake for length of time as directed on the back cake mix box.
- Remove from oven.
- Set aside to cool completely.
- With an electric mixer add the butter on medium speed and beat for 1 minute.
- Add in the powdered sugar and cocoa powder 1 cup at a time.
- Continue to mix until well combined.
- Add the heavy whipping cream and vanilla extract.
- Mix on medium-high speed until the mixture is fluffy.
- Frosting should be a light dirt color.
- Scoop the frosting into the piping bag with star tip.
- Frost the cupcake with a thin swirl of light dirt chocolate frosting by starting at the center of the cupcake working out ward. Do not the frost to the edge of the cupcake.
Decorating the Cupcakes
- Put single rock candies in place as the foundation for the bonfire.
- Allow the tootsie rolls to soften.
- Roll each tootsie roll in the shape of campfire logs — 3 per cupcake.
- Crisscross the logs to build the foundation of the campfire.
- Using an electric mixer combine all ingredients and mix on medium speed.
- Mix until you see stiffed peaks in your frosting.
- Once the frosting is done split it into 3 bowls.
- Add about 2-4 drops of each color:
- Add the Red food coloring to the first bowl.
- Add the Yellow food coloring to the second bowl.
- Add the Orange food coloring to the third bowl.
- Stir to mix each color throughout the entire bowl of frosting.
- Scoop the red frosting onto one side of the piping bag with the round tip.
- Scoop the yellow frosting onto another side of the piping bag holding the red frosting.
- Scoop the orange frosting onto the the third side of the piping bag holding the red and yellow frosting.
- Squeeze the open end of the piping bag to push the frosting to the tip.
- Pipe a dollop of this frosting onto the center of the tootsie roll campfire logs to make a flame.
Jolly Rancher Candy Flame
- Pour the red, yellow, and orange jolly ranchers into a plastic zipper baggie.
- Using a hammer break the jolly rancher candies into smaller pieces.
- Heat the oven to 275 F degrees.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Spread the crushed candy jolly ranchers over the parchment lined baking sheet.
- Bake at 275 F degrees for about 5-6 minutes. (check early to make sure the candy doesn’t burn.)
- Take out of the oven once the candy has melted.
- Allow to cool completely.
- Using a hammer to gently break the candy into shards.
- Place the shards into the frosting flame.
- Category: dessert
- Method: baking
- Cuisine: american
Keywords: camping cupcakes, fire cupcakes, bonfire cupcakes, camp fire cupcakes