- 1–2 lbs fresh okra
- 2 cups of buttermilk OR 2 cups of milk + 2-3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 3–4 cups flour
- 1 1/2 cups corn meal
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- cooking oil
- Pour enough oil in a deep skillet so that it’s about 1 inch deep.
- Preheat the oil to medium heat.
- Wash and chop okra into 3/4 inch – 1 inch pieces.
- Combine flour, cornmeal, salt, and pepper in a bowl until well mixed.
- Pour buttermilk into separate bowl (or pour milk and lemon juice and allow to sit for 5-10 minutes).
- Add a handful of okra into the milk until coated, then transfer to the breading and tumble around until well coated.
- Check to make sure oil is hot.
- Add enough okra to form one layer. Watch and let it fry for a few minutes until it is golden brown. (Mine cooked in 4-5 minutes)
- Remove from oil and place on paper towels to soak up any excess oil.
- Serve immediatel