Have you been to the new Hallmark card section of Walmart? I went this past weekend, and I am addicted! It’s like a little Hallmark store inside Walmart with more than just cards.
They had patio furniture on display right outside the card section, so Nate and the kids sat and people watched while I was sucked into the awesome of all things Hallmark. I just love to read funny cards. I could probably stay there all day.
I found the funniest pet cards on the end cap. These cards aren’t “for” pets, but feature actual people’s pets with hilarious sayings for birthdays. They were all so funny, I had a hard time narrowing it down.
Do you know about the Hallmark Card Rewards Program? If you’re not a member, sign up here. You can earn rewards for every 5 cards you buy! And, now you can earn rewards when you buy Hallmark cards at Walmart!
I love greeting cards, but I like to do more with them than just giving them on birthdays and anniversaries. Here are some quick and easy tutorials for creative ways to use greeting cards:
- Glue or glue stick (use a permanent bond one)
- Bone folder
- scissors/rotary cutter
- mason jars
- CD or saucer – for tracing
- clear contact paper
1. Cut out circles and put them in the top of the lid of a mason jar for gift giving. This one got a laugh and a big smile when I gave it to one of my kids’ teachers full of homemade cookies.
2. Cut the card in half and trim it down. Then insert it into a mason jar as “gift wrapping” around some homemade treats. (I love this rooster picture, LOL)
3. Make a gift box out of the card.
- 1. Cut the greeting card in half at the fold.
- 2. Take the front of the greeting card and flip it over to the wrong side. Mark it as shown with a pencil, measuring 0.75 inches from each edge. (The blue lines are where cuts will be made.)
- 3. Make at a cut at each blue line.
- 4, Using a bone folder, fold along each black line edge.
- 5. At the square cuts, apply glue to the right side, then fold inward and attach as shown.
- 6. Let dry, then do the exact same thing to the back piece of the card. Make sure to fold it so that the inside greeting of the card will be IN the box when it’s opened, like the picture.
- 7. Slide the top onto the bottom, and it’s an instant box. Perfect for small gifts or gift cards!
4. Make a Pillow Box.
- 1. Cut the card in half at the fold and discard the back.
- 2. Using a stylus, score the lower edge about 1/2 inch from edge. Then, score the center (marked from the first scored edge to the top of the card.)
- 3. Fold both edges using a bone folder.
- 4. Using a saucer or old CD, score the edge of each side opening. Make sure to do both front and back of each side (a total of 4 times, since it is folded). Cut along the scoring.
- 5. Now use the CD to score an elliptical edge as shown in picture #2. Do this a total of 4 times, one for each side. Crease along each of these scored marks.
- 6. Glue the folded edge to the top edge of the card. Then, fold each elliptical inward to form the box closures.
5. Make waterproof coasters.
- 1. Cut the card at the fold and trim front and back to about a square size.
- 2. Optional: Glue the funny message to the picture.
- 3. Glue the front to the back with the inside message facing the back, so it can be seen.
- 4. Cut 2 pieces of clear contact paper about 1/2 inch larger. Apply it to both sides, and then trim the edges to about 1/8 inch all the way around.
- 5. You’re done! I just love these coasters. The funny sayings make me giggle every time I use one!
Make sure you check out connectionsfromhallmark.com to sign up for Hallmark Rewards and to see great content from other bloggers. Join in the #FunnyPetCards conversation on Twitter!