Pudding Cup Play Dough

So, truth be told, I’m a science geek kinda girl.  I excelled at science as a kid and in college. It’s a passion of mine.  I love science experiments, and I do a lot of them in our kitchen with my kids.  I want them to love science like I do.  It’s amazing how adding one compound to another will completely turn one thing into something different.

As I’m sure you’ve noticed, we’ve been experimenting with play dough. I’ve been coming up with fun, edible play dough recipes, and my kids are loving it!

Pudding Cup Play Dough | The TipToe Fairy

I couldn’t think of any other yummy ingredients to make play dough, so I checked out some various recipes. I noticed that people were using chocolate pudding mix to make play dough. Well that gave me an idea…

Let’s just skip the mix and use ready made pudding cups straight from the fridge! And this was how Pudding Cup Play Dough was born.

Pudding Cup Play Dough | The TipToe Fairy

The only pudding I had in the fridge was butterscotch (my fave!) and chocolate, so that’s what we made.  It’s super duper easy, and one pudding cup makes one perfect-sized ball of play dough.

Pudding Cup Play Dough | The TipToe Fairy

This play dough is by far the most squishiest, stretchiest, and pliable we’ve made. If you hold it up, it will just slowly ooze down to the table. We liked that part a lot.

photo pudding-cup-play-dough-3_zps69af5b9a.jpg

As for the edibleness, it’s pretty tasty — a little sweet, a little like marshmallow, but tasted mainly like the pudding flavor. But, the smell is even better. The butterscotch pudding play dough smelled just heavenly.

Pudding Cup Play Dough

Pudding Cup Play Dough

Ingredients

• 1 pudding cup - any flavor
  • 1 cup corn starch
  • 1/4 tsp oil (canola, olive, etc.)

Instructions

1. In a bowl mix pudding, oil, and corn starch until it begins to form together.
  2. Dust hands with corn starch and begin kneading in the bowl.
  3. Once it forms somewhat of a ball, pull it out of the bowl and dip it in a little bit of excess corn starch on both sides.
  4. Begin kneading for a few minutes until dough becomes shiny and not sticky.
  5. Play with your new dough!
  6. For storage, I keep it in a plastic ziplock bag.

I hope you find this play dough recipe as fun as we do.  This is a great recipe to let your toddler or preschooler mix it all by themselves.  I know mine was so proud she had a hand in making her very own play dough.

Have you made play dough before? What crazy ingredients have you tried?

25 Comments on Pudding Cup Play Dough

1. Diana
    April 11, 2014 at 10:16 am (4 months ago)

Well that is interesting! We use to make play dough when we were kids but never with pudding. I bet your hands smell tasty after!

2. Boonie
    April 11, 2014 at 10:45 am (4 months ago)

This sounds like a fun idea! I’m going to try it with my niece :)

3. Julie Jamison
    April 11, 2014 at 1:26 pm (4 months ago)

Super cool! Now how to keep myself from eating this instead of playing with my little ones. The life of a big foodie I tell you! :-)

4. Sandra
    April 11, 2014 at 3:53 pm (4 months ago)

This is the best idea!!! LOVE IT. Pinned.

5. Sarah
    April 11, 2014 at 4:17 pm (4 months ago)

Help! Thought this was too cool not to try right away – ended up with terrible results. No amount of mixing or kneading would bring the mixture together, it stayed the texture of damp sand. Tried more oil to no avail. Oh well, I thought, it’s supposed to taste good, we’ll just eat some. Not good! It was like eating a spoonful of corn starch. How could I possibly have gone so wrong with three ingredients?!

• Stephanie Pass
      April 11, 2014 at 6:20 pm (4 months ago)

Oh no! I never had the texture of wet sand. It immediately changed to almost a bread dough when mixing with the corn starch. I did use shelf stable pudding that didn’t need to be refrigerated. I haven’t tried it with Jello pudding or Swiss Miss pudding that requires refrigeration. Could that be it?

• Stephanie Pass
      April 11, 2014 at 6:31 pm (4 months ago)

I did a little research on the ingredients and they aren’t much different for the shelf stable versus refrigerated pudding, so I’m not sure that matters. For the second round I add 1/2 the corn starch and stirred until it was dough like. Then added the rest and began kneading. This method produced the best result with super stretchy play dough.

• Sarah
        April 11, 2014 at 6:41 pm (4 months ago)

Thanks, Stephanie. I used shelf stable as well so it wasn’t that. Are you in the US? I’m in Canada – maybe our pudding cups are smaller or our corn starch is different lol. I’ll have to try again and let you know how it goes!

• Stephanie Pass
          April 11, 2014 at 6:49 pm (4 months ago)

Yep I’m in the US. That could be it. What about sugar free? I used regular pudding not sugar free. I could see that having an issue. This is going to lead me to do an experiment on several types of pudding lol.

• erin
        April 15, 2014 at 1:07 pm (4 months ago)

we used handy pack vanilla, the measurements were a little off but with a little effort we did make a dough of some kind, it turned a little crumbly within a few minutes of play, but it was still very entertaining and fun. I would still recommend this activity to anyone with bored children as it provided me with an hour of peace to get some house work done! Cleanup wasn’t too bad, I used an old gift card to scrape the cornstarch residue off the table (laminate table).

6. Paula - Buenos Aires
    April 11, 2014 at 6:12 pm (4 months ago)

Lol. Just like Julie I´d eaten the lot before having the chance to play. ;)

7. Karen @TheMissingNiche
    April 11, 2014 at 6:54 pm (4 months ago)

Wow! This is a great idea! I have never seen this before. I would be afraid that my kids would eat it!

8. Patranila
    April 11, 2014 at 6:55 pm (4 months ago)

Looks like this could get confusing. Do we eat it, do we play with it? Ahhh, I don’t know. The pressure!

9. Dawn
    April 11, 2014 at 7:03 pm (4 months ago)

Oh goodness, that is a seriously cute idea! Hmmm, I’m tempted to make myself a batch ;) I’ve never made any play dough myself, I really should give it a try!

10. Joanne T Ferguson
    April 11, 2014 at 9:17 pm (4 months ago)

G’day! Ho cute! So reminds me of childhood!
    Cheers! Joanne

11. Natalie
    April 11, 2014 at 10:14 pm (4 months ago)

This is freaking sweet, I need to try this with the kids.. I pinned this in the mean time.

12. Mommy Pehpot
    April 12, 2014 at 9:23 am (4 months ago)

haven’t tried creating our own play dough. Thanks for sharing this!

13. Vohn McGuinness
    April 12, 2014 at 2:36 pm (4 months ago)

This is a great idea. So nice for the little’uns to make themselves too! x

14. Anyonita
    April 13, 2014 at 12:13 pm (4 months ago)

This is so amazing, Stephanie! :) We can’t get pudding cups in the UK, but I have an idea that might work as a substitute!

• Stephanie Pass
      April 13, 2014 at 12:20 pm (4 months ago)

Thanks!! Wow, I had no idea they didn’t have pudding cups over in the UK.

15. Alicia Clary
    June 26, 2014 at 12:31 pm (1 month ago)

I had the same wet sand results as someone else! What can be done differently to make it work? Do you add a little cornstarch at a time until you get the right consistency? I put it all together at the same time.

• Stephanie Pass
      June 26, 2014 at 12:57 pm (1 month ago)

I’m not sure what the deal is. I’m thinking I’m going to make an experiment with different brands and see what the deal is. I mix it together, dust my hands with corn starch and then start kneading it, even when it feels like wet sand. After a minute, it turns into dough for me.

16. Melissa Barbacow
    July 9, 2014 at 3:12 pm (3 weeks ago)

I had the same consistency as though it was wet sand or moon sand. Followed just like you said.