I’m not a big coffee drinker. I have the occasional fancy schmancy coffee drink like a caramel macchiato once in a blue moon, but I’ve never been a fan of regular ol’ coffee. I often hear other moms talk about how they love coffee and always need their morning coffee to get the day going. Then, I’m over here with a mug full of hot chocolate 😉 . I’ve always felt like I’m not an official grown up because I prefer things like hot chocolate over coffee.
As the days get colder, I tend to make myself a fresh batch of homemade hot chocolate to fill my travel mug before I head out to pick up all the kids from school and deliver them to their activities. I’m a little picky when it comes to my hot chocolate because I don’t like to buy the prepackaged mixes. It takes about the same amount of time to whip up made-from-scratch hot chocolate as it does to make the pre-packaged stuff. I love how the milk is a bit frothy when I heat it up. It makes the drink so much more deliciously creamy.
With our big trip to San Francisco coming up in March next year, I’ve been trying to be healthier both exercising more and eating better. Recently, I discovered Pure Via at Walmart, and I’ve started replacing sugar with it. It’s an all natural, Non-GMO alternative to sugar made from the stevia plant.
This week it’s finally getting cold and rainy again which is perfect weather for warm drinks. For the past few days, I’ve been making my hot chocolate with Pure Via instead of sugar, and it tastes great! I love that it’s zero calories, and it’s a perfect alternative to sugar or artificial sweeteners.
Not only did I make the hot chocolate with Pure Via, but yesterday I made fresh whipped cream to go on top, and instead of sugar I added a packet of Pure Via to the cream as I was whipping it. It came out delightful with a hint of sweetness. I definitely plan on making it that way again.
I have a 2-cup travel mug, so I usually make a batch of Healthier Homemade Hot Chocolate with 1 1/2 cups at a time. Check out how easy it is to make:
Here’s the recipes for both the hot chocolate and whipped cream with Pure Via. This is perfect for one travel mug or two regular mugs at home.
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- 8 packets of Pure Via (or more or less depending on how sweet you like it)
- 1 heaping tablespoon of unsweetened cocoa
- 1/2 cup of heavy whipping cream
- 1 package of Pure Via
- Heat milk in microwave safe container for 3 minutes. It will be close to boiling and a bit frothy.
- Mix in Pure Via and unsweetened cocoa with the milk. Mix thoroughly until it's completely combined.
- Grate a little bit of semi-sweet chocolate.
- Pour the hot chocolate into your mug.
- Top with fresh whipped cream and chocolate shreds.
- Pour 1/2 cup of whipped cream into a tall container.
- Add 1 packet of Pure Via and mix thoroughly.
- Beat until stiff peaks form.
- Top hot chocolate with whipped cream and a little bit of grated chocolate.
While supplies last, grab a coupon and try the difference with Pure Via. Click HERE to save $.55 on ONE (1) Pure Via® Non-GMO, All Natural, Zero Calorie 40 Ct. Packets
You can also take advantage of a FREE song and cookbook/songbook download from Jewel. Find them HERE. I can’t wait to make some of those recipes!
What’s your favorite warm drink?