This shop is part of a social shopper marketing insight campaign with Pollinate Media Group® and Dr. Pepper Snapple Group, but all my opinions are my own. #pmedia #FlavorforLess http://my-disclosur.es/OBsstV
This summer Nate and I are striving to get healthier. One way I’m working to do this is cutting the sugar in our diet. We drink a lot of unsweetened tea, but it’s nice to have something sweet every once in awhile.
Recently, while shopping at Tom Thumb, I came across the TEN drinks — 7 Up Ten, Sunkist Ten, A&W Ten or Canada Dry Ten. Nate does not like any kind of diet soft drink, but.after trying Canada Dry TEN, he really liked it! It’s my favorite, too!
During the summer, I like to make frozen treats with drinks we have around the house. Since we’re trying to be healthier, I decided to try making a fun summer frozen treat using Canada Dry TEN — Strawberry Lemonade Granita. I’ve seen granitas made with prosecco, which is a bubbly champagne like drink, so I thought using Canada Dry TEN would make a nice non-alcoholic substitute.
Granita is very easy to make. It’s like a sorbet, made with fruit or fruit juices, but it’s made by hand in a metal dish. The liquid is poured into a shallow metal dish, such as a deep cookie sheet, and then frozen. At times, the granita is stirred or scraped with a fork to break up the ice crystals as they form. After a few hours, the end result is a flaky, granular frozen treat. The texture is like a snow cone.
Yields about 6-7 servings
- 1 pint strawberries
- 1 lemon
- 1/2 cup sucralose
- 1/2 + 1/2 cup water
- 2 cups Canada Dry TEN
- Hull and cut up the strawberries.
- Add 1/2 cup water and the cut up strawberries to a blender. Puree until liquid.
- Boil 1/2 cup of water and add sucralose and stir until completely dissolved to form a simple sugar. Set aside to cool.
- Juice the lemon and add to the strawberry puree. Mix.
- Now add the simple syrup to the strawberry puree. Mix well.
- Add 2 cups of Canada Dry TEN and mix.
- Pour into a shallow metal baking sheet. Then place in the freezer.
- Stir or break up granita with a fork every 30 minutes for the first hour.
- Then, break up granita with a fork at the 2 hour mark.
- At 3 hours, it's ready to serve.
This granita is delicious! It comes together with just the right amount of sweet and tart. It’s a great low-calorie ending to a hot summer night!
Ready to make some for yourself? You can find the TEN 2-liters at any Safeway brand store.
Make sure you visit the Just For U website for a coupon for a FREE 2-Liter of any flavor of the TEN calorie products — 7UP Ten, Sunkist Ten, A&W Ten, Canada Dry Ten.
This offer is available from 5/12 – 5/19 and while supplies last.