Does your family eat dinner together? We are a family who eats dinner together nearly every single night. I love that about my family. It’s something that is very important to me. Even on late nights, we eat dinner together.
My kids all swim. My two older are on a swim team, and the little one goes to swim lessons while they are at practice. This means Mondays and Wednesdays are late nights, and we don’t get home until after 8 o’clock.
On those days, I need dinner on the table fast, so I try to find ways to speed up our favorite recipes. One of those is meatloaf. I’ve found using muffin pans and cooking individual meatloaf “muffins” can drop cooking time from 1 hour to less than 30 minutes.
I usually make my meatloaf with crushed Ritz crackers or bread crumbs, but I was out of both. So, this time around I decided oats might be a healthier choice. My family loved it! Nate thought it was even better than usual with oats added, so I think I’m going to stick with using them from now on.
- 2 lbs ground beef
- 3/4 cup oats
- 2 eggs
- 1/4 cup of milk
- 1 tbs minced garlic
- 1 tsp dried onion
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- sauce: 1/3 cup ketchup + 1/3 cup brown sugar
- Preheat oven to 350.
- In a large bowl add oats and milk, let sit to absorb for a minute or two, then add eggs, meat, garlic, onion, garlic powder, Worcestershire sauce, sea salt.
- Mix thoroughly with your hands until well combined.
- Grease a 6-count jumbo muffin tin with olive oil spray.
- Fill each muffin tin completely.
- Cook for 25-30 minutes until temperature inside meatloaf is over 160 degrees.
- While cooking, mix ketchup and brown sugar over medium high until bubbling. Remove from fire.
- At the last 5 minutes of baking, pour a spoonful of sauce over each meatloaf muffin.
- Keep remaining sauce to serve at the table.
- Remove meatloaf muffins from oven and let sit for a few minutes before serving.
My homemade meatballs are very similar to my meatloaf recipe, so I think I’m going to experiment with using oats instead of crackers or bread crumbs for them, too! I’ll let you know how it goes.
These Jumbo Meatloaf Muffins were paired with hands down my absolute favorite mashed potatoes recipe. It’s Cream Cheese Mashed Potatoes – THE best recipe for mashed potatoes I’ve ever eaten, like ever. They are a family favorite. So yummy!!